Am I able to render a "streaming" file in Sony Vegas 8.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 10th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Am I able to render a "streaming" file in Sony Vegas 8.0

I want to render a video for microsoft frontpage. It says that i need a .asf file for video extension. I dont see this offered as an option in Sony Vegas 8.0c Is this possible?
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Is this an older version of frontpage?

.asf is a deprecated extension for what we now know as windows media. If I recall correctly, you can rename a .wmv or .wma to .asf and it will still work correctly. Yes, I just tried it - it works fine in calling the windows media player.

However, you shouldn't need to do this. Just give frontpage a .wmv, it should be happy. If it isn't, you can rename as above.

Cons of using a deprecated file extension: Well, there are people out there using substitute media players that might not correctly identify .asf as a windows media file. Maybe, I don't really know.

PS. None of this is true "streaming" unless you are using WM server, which will negotiate a connection with the client and start playing almost immediately. What you will probably end up with is "progressive download" in which the player starts the media as soon as a few seconds are downloaded.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Flash Player conversion instead?

Maybe it would be better if i converted to FLV instead? Yup you know the next question...how do i convert a movie to FLV in Sony Vegas? is it even possible? My search in the forum has confused me to say the least

I am using Frontpage 2003
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
Maybe it would be better if i converted to FLV instead?...
There's been lots written on this subject. Search is your friend. Here's a sampling:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...ash-video.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...st-advise.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...ort-flash.html

Frontpage doesn't care whether your video is flash or wmv, your audience does. Depending on which version of frontpage you have it will have different built-in html snippets to handle the different external files, eg. myfile.flv, myfile.wmv, etc. However, you can always add your own html code to accomodate something that frontpage doesn't handle natively.

PS. It isn't just WM that does progressive download without a streaming server - that's what flash does too...
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...