Stripy DV footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Stripy DV footage

I've dropped some DV footage into an HDV timeline and get a nasty striping effect during any movement in the footage.

For example (I'll upload a sample later) the image of the skier coming down the mountain looks like he's gone through a bread slicer. The mountain, however, looks fine.

The DV footage comes from a variety of sources ranging from pd170 to a PDW700 XDCam and it's all the same. We've tried dropping it into different timelines and projects with the same results.

The DV footage makes up about 1% of the total film, which is looking superb. The DV stuff is utterly unacceptable as it is. Surely something is amiss here or/and we've overlooked something obvious.

Any pointers anyone?

Many thanks in advance
Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Stuart, have you tried rendering out a small section of the DV footage - it may well render fine.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
...For example (I'll upload a sample later) the image of the skier coming down the mountain looks like he's gone through a bread slicer. The mountain, however, looks fine.... We've tried dropping it into different timelines and projects with the same results....
That sure sounds like a classic case of interlace artifacts.

Have you evaluated the footage in SD? How about in SD using something that will automatically deinterlace, eg. Windows Media Player?

If this establishes that the footage is OK, then tricks in Vegas would be next. If the footage still shows artifacts you'll need to work backwards through the acquisition chain.

So, if you have good footage in SD you'll probably do well to transcode it to progressive before changing its size in an HD timeline.

There are many methods, I've had good results with the Smart Deinterlacer filter available on the downloads page at mikecrash.com, also see this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...e-slow-mo.html
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Under the "Project Properties", make sure you have a "Deinterlace method" selected. Interpolate fields works best for video with motion. Even though your DV footage doesn't strictly need deinterlacing, leaving the deinterlace method set to "none" produces all kinds of strange artifacts when using video with a different resolution than that for which the project is set.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Guys,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I've played around with the shots I have issues with (in the limited time we have available right now) with some interesting, if not confusing results (well for me anyway).

As both John and Seth suggest it does indeed look like a bad case of interlace artefacts. Now, given that the footage when played in it's native format i.e on our XDCAM disk reader and DVCPro player is absolutely fine I realised it was just Vegas having issues with combining it into an HD project. So I tried John's method and changed all the clip properties to de-interlace etc but with no success.

Then I tried Ian's suggestion and just rendered it out as it was (with artefacting) and burnt a DVD to have a look and what do you know it's all perfectly normal! Stripy problems all gone. Very strange! However, if I render the same project to a WMV which I normally do for client evaluation and conversion to FLV the artefacting is back!

How can it show up when I render out to one format but not another?

Now I'm confused!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...