Capturing Problem (jittery) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 31st, 2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing Problem (jittery)

I have a Cannon XHA1. Only had it for about 2 months. Everything I have been putting on the web has been in flash. Well it's been jittery. Well just now while I was capturing I noticed it. So, it is doing it when I capture it.

Whats with that? Do I need to close every window that I have open etc? Maybe restart the computer. I am not using a capture card but rather the on board fire wire connection.

Computer

Amd Athlon 5600+ Dual Core 2.81ghz
2 gigs ram

Thanks, Jason
Jason Simpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jason,
I have an xha1, amd 64 5500, 2 gig, gt8800, and running vegas 7.

I always reboot prior to capturing video....just a habit, I don't know if it helps or not. I don't pay attention to the video when I capture it.

I think your two observations are unrelated. It sounds like there is a problem with your workflow, project properties, or rendering steps. Do you de-interlace?

Here is a link that I used to help me properly format my footage for vimeo HD.
Eugenia’s Rants and Thoughts Blog Archive Exporting with Vegas for Vimeo HD

Maybe it will help you in some aspects. Maybe someone has a workflow that will work for your end use specificly.

Hope this helps ya,
Michael
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well I have narrowed it down to the capture. Because whenever it jumped during capture it didn't show any dropped frames. Where it jumped during capture that is exactly where it was in the video.

Earlier I only need to capture 2 mins of video. It didn't jump one time and I didn't do anything either. Sometimes I might browse or something. After rendering out etc no problems.

So, like you said maybe I need to do a fresh reboot and clear the start up stuff.

I have an 8800gts about the same as yours. I LOVE THAT CARD. Best card I ever had. Sorry just a side note. Love my toys. Thanks for the input also I will try the fresh reboot.
Jason Simpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Simpkins View Post
Sometimes I might browse or something.
That could be a part of your problem.
The general recommendation is try not to have any unnecessary background processes going on, especially during capture.
This includes surfing, anti-virus (especially of it's Norton) and other assorted background tasks.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dropped frames on capture - the conventional wisdom says:

1) Avoid VIA firewire chipsets
2) Capture to a drive other than your system drive
3) Reduce or eliminate unneeded processes that are running during capture
4) For IDE/ATA drives you want NTFS formatting and DMA
5) Keep an eye on fragmentation of your capture drive - defrag as needed
6) Many people have problems with running their camera firewire and external drive firewire to the same firewire bus on the PC. USB external drives have proven to be fast enough to capture with no dropped frames, leaving the firewire bus to the camcorder. eSATA is very cool indeed.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have 3 sata drives. 2 250gigs. One 1 terabyte. Capturing to any of them gives me a few jerks here and there, but never any dropped frames. It might be someone walking and all the sudden you might see them move a few extra steps all the sudden.

Police Fire Videos

This is a link to one of the videos. The username is police the password is fire. The first video that is of an accident is the one that jerks at points. Please note that there may be disturbing images in the video. I do film accident scenes etc.

Jason
Jason Simpkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...