vegas 4 training DVD set at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 12th, 2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Major Player

vegas 4 training DVD set

Has anyone used the 4 set DVD training series by Douglas Spotted Eagle. I recently purchased some photoshop 7 training DVD's (from some off brand company) They were simply video of documents, I just want to make sure it is not like reading a book, prefferably has him actually talking. ( I know, Ed and Chris, I saw the article) I have tech manuals galore right now (I have 4 200+ page maunuals I am reading). I need something so I can be lazy and sit back and take it in, not read through documents.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

dse's DVD is either him on camera talking, or live screenshots of what he is demonstrating.

Recommended, as is Gary Kleiner's set.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

They are NOT "simply video of documents". In both cases (DSE & Gary) it is like sitting in a room with them and listening and watching them talk about Vegas. Think of it as a personalized instruction class.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Edward and Peter, that was the description (word) I was looking for (but my brain is fried), Classroom style.
Old September 13th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #5
Wrangler

Don,

Which Photoshop 7 DVDs did you get? Just wanna know, so I know to avoid them.

I'm thinking about ordering the Total Training DVDs for Photoshop and After Effects, because I was "totally" :-)impressed by the video tutorials on Adobe's site.
Old September 13th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #6
Major Player

They were actually CD's (my mistake sorry), The company called Keyko, Personal Training photoshop 7, The most detailed and interactive training solution (yeh right). There wasn't even any audio, they just had some documents and an occaisonal arrow that would point to something. It has been a full time job to make sure money hits the right products. So much stuff, especially software, is disapointing.

On DVD burning software, I tried to go the cheap route and was just an idiot, I asked all the right questions but decided not to buy the good stuff for fear that HD would come along any day and leave me with a bunch of outdated gear and software. 4 programs later I have Vegas 4 + DVD on the way. My fault completely, if I could ever stop believing what I read in computer reviews and listen to more folks like DVInfo I might just save myself enough time and money to be creative as a videographer.

It's probably been mentioned, and I am sure it's a whole new headache, I wonder if Chris has ever been approached with the idea of having an area with "Product Reviews".. Yes the whole site has product reviews and opinions but a seperate area would be great to get an overall feel before purchasing (Then Chris could have links to dealers, maybe some purchase power, and then ....... and some ....... And I would feel so bad not being able to help because I am so busy:)
Old September 13th, 2003, 03:40 PM   #7
New Boot

hi folks,

where can I get my hands on the aforementioned DVD training videos for Vegas?

I am new to NLE, but I want to get the best and not have to run through 10 different cheaper programs on my way up the ladder, so I am going to order Vegas 4 + DVD, and I understand there is a pretty steep learning curve for neophytes like me.

thanks for the info!
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #8
Wrangler

Vegas 4 Class On Demand DVDs

and see Edward's post below :-)

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Michael pointed you to DSE's 4 DVD set. Gary's 2 DVD set is at Vegas Training and Tools

Gary's 2 DVD set review

DSE's 4 DVD set review
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #10
Major Player

I have the V4 DSE set, It covers most of the basics to get going in Vegas. There's so many topics he could cover indepth though, I'm sure there will be more in the series.

As already said, it's Douglas talking you through various projects and features to make editing easier.
Old September 13th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #11
Trustee

A few months back I was working on a project that I decided would be my 'finally throw away premiere and use vegas' project. It was sort of a hail mary when I ordered the Douglas Spotted Eagle 4-DVD set, hoping that it would help me get the job done.

It did! It has quite a lot of info packed in together. You can pay $50 for a book or you can pay about twice that much to get this DVD set and get 10 times the use out of it.

I highly recommend it.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 06:03 AM   #12
Major Player

Jeff,
I have Vegas Video 3 and was surprised at how fast I was able to be creative with it. It will take some learning but it is also straight forward, To upload something, VV3 has icons of a camera, cd, a scanner, a world (the net), a folder (computer files), just click on these to get the video and audio into the media pool. The media pool will have thumbnails of video, still pictures, and names of audio files. Just click and drag these clips to the timeline and boom, you are started.

It seems a lot of us are going to have these training DVD's. Once I learn V4 maybe I will pass them on ( as long as I feel no need to keep them), lower the price by 5 bucks, and send them down the line to other folks who can do the same. (it would take some honesty).

Someone mentioned further releases by Douglas Spotted Eagle, I believe I did read somewhere that he may create some advanced lesson in the near future.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...