vegas 8, vista 64 and bullet looks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
well, I was wondering that, and I dont have an independant memory tester, so I ran the one vista gives you, and it said the ram was fine. but I dont know how trustworthy that is. if it IS a hardware issue I am completely hosed (unless newegg can get me a new one in 24 hours). is there another way to check for bad hardware?
Sounds corny, but have you opened your case to remove dust? Buildup can cause lots of heat --> odd problems. Sorry if this seems obvious; to some it isn't. :)

Also, you can download utilities (or maybe you already have one from your MOBO manufacturer) to monitor CPU temps within Windows (i.e., not in BIOS). Do a render and see what happens to your CPU temp. If the temps spike, particularly under the load that MB Looks imposes, then you have a cooling issue. A quick fix (i.e., new cooling fan/heatsink), but not if your source for parts is too slow or too far away.

How about memory? Did a stick go bad? Have any extra laying around so you can swap them out? Or how about just alternating pulling out sticks to see if you have a bad one? That is, pull out a stick (or replace it), try the render, and so on. If that's the problem, then you could pick some up at a local computer store for a real quick and easy fix (if they're around you way up there, that is).

If Vista is the problem, and you don't have the OS laying around, then I guess you can't do a HD reformat and fresh install. Hrm.

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Major Player

just spent 2 hours in a chat session with tech support. they found some gliches, and a driver I was missing that I didnt find for the video card, I am going to try another render and see what happens, crossing fingers!
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #18
Major Player

well that didnt help.

is there a way to test the hardware without taking it to a computer store?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Major Player

Ian download and run prime95 that will stress test you pc.
If that runs ok for one hour then your pc memory etc 'should' be okay
You can also try sisoft sandra and test individual parts ie memory, cpu

Do you have large jpegs in your project as that can crash vegas faster than anything else.

Im running vista 64 with vegas 8 and MB looks with zero probs(waits for lightning bolt to strike hehe)
good luck if its hardware as it can be very difficult to diagnose even a dodgy psu could be the culprit.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #20
Major Player

thanks, I will try those. no jpegs in the project, its all video. I realized the one thing I havent tested yet was a completely DIFFERENT timeline, I just kep trying to render the same piece. maybe there is something in the piece making it angry....still doesnt explain the random shutoff issues though.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...