A way to get the Daft Punk voice sound in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Trustee

A way to get the Daft Punk voice sound in Vegas?

Is there an audio plugin to get the Daft Punk style of singing voices in Vegas? I know that you can use Vocoder, but I would like to try it in Vegas...any ideas?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

David, is there a specific Daft Punk song you have in mind? I just listened to the first 6 excerpts that came up from an iTunes search and I heard 5 different styles of vocal!

One of the (often used) vocal styles that I just heard in the Daft Punk song 'One More Time' is what is commonly known as the 'Cher effect', first used on her song 'Believe' (to me it sounds like a dying goat trying to yodel while chewing a wasp, but then again, I am an Iggy Pop fan).

There is an urban myth that this effect was created using extreme settings on a bit of hardware called AutoTune from Antares. This story first came to light in a Sound on Sound article back in 1999 but has since widely been debunked. In truth, the effect was crafted through painstakingly mixing a filtered vocoded voice with other effected and plain voices (maybe using a little AutoTune here and there, giving some credence to the myth).

It is indeed possible to produce a similar effect with AutoTune, which is also available as a software plugin (there are tutorials all over the web showing how). I believe there are other plugins available that will do the same kind of thing but I have no experience of these.

You can, of course, use a vocoder in Vegas. I have used ProSoniq's excellent Orange Vocoder for years (although admittedly I would tend to use my chosen DAW, Cakewalk Sonar, for this kind of work, rather than Vegas). I have several other audio plugins that have 'vocoder' presets, but they aren't anywhere near as good as a purpose built vocoder, leading me to believe that getting a decent vocoder sound is probably not possible from combining other plugins. At least it wouldn't be easy. You'd need to split the voice into multiple frequency bands, run them through band pass filters, then blend them with a carrier wave, e.g. a synth sound.

I'm sure someone like Spot will have a more informed answer, and he may well say I'm wrong!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...