Can't read the rendered m2t files with VLC... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Trustee

Can't read the rendered m2t files with VLC...

How come i can't render the HDV 108050i rendered files with VLC?
I can read em with WMP but it show the videos cropped in 4/3. :(
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Which version of VLC are you using? Also, post a sample file. I have no trouble reading rendering 1080i60 m2t files with VLC for the last two years.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you set the preferences in VLC properly?
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
How come i can't render the HDV 108050i rendered files with VLC?
I can read em with WMP but it show the videos cropped in 4/3. :(
You don't say what format they're rendered in - apparently, cineform codec doesn't play with VLC

Cineform
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Please post a small portion of your rendered .m2t file so we can try it out.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Yep Cineform;that's why!
So wich custom render should i set to read my hdv 108050i?
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Trustee

I want to know which format should i set to have the maximum quality HDV render( so every xp pc could read it).
Thx

have a nice week end
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you're not concerned with Macintosh or Linux viewers, Windows Media Video is very, very good in several ways.

Great codec performance for the bitrate, good rescaling in the player, multibitrate files, good on and off the internet, good automatic codec updates, good penetration with PCs - I'm sure there are some others. Try WMV 9 at perhaps 6Mbps for 1080i.

If you have some control over the PCs that you want to distribute to, Cineform Neo Player is also very good for Cineform codec AVIs, but internet distribution is tough. Do I remember about 28Mbps at medium and 40Mbps at high quality? But great for harddrive playback.

For something that is truely cross-platform/cross-browser, Flash is an excellent choice that Vegas does not handle natively. There are 3 codecs in use - Spark, which is free and greedy for bitrate; VP6 is pretty good, costs several hundred $ USD, but comes with Flash CS3 and Flash CS4; and h.264, great codec, which Vegas can do, but not all viewers can yet handle.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #9
Trustee

Ok Seth,thanks a lot!
Listen but what should you choose on the template tools to have the best quality HD rendered video?
I wanted also to know what does"uncompessed default" stands for on the Template tools.
Thx
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Trustee

I forgot to tell u that WMP plays the hdv video in 4:3 aspect ratio.Suggestions?
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
...what does"uncompessed default" stands for on the Template tools.
There is no "best" format. Even uncompressed is not best in all circumstances. It may have no compression artifacts, but now you have a huge file that is difficult to move between PCs, that won't play back off a CD, that may drop frames off harddrive playback, etc. What we are looking for is "good" for our current distribution.

Uncompressed is used primarily as a digital intermediate format when moving video between vegas and another application, either because we need all that quality and/or we need to preserve an alpha (transparency) channel.

Uncompressed is not a distribution format - even movie theaters that are doing digital projection on large screens are not receiving uncompressed files, they use a JPEG2000-based compression...

Quote:
...what should you choose on the template tools to have the best quality HD rendered video?
For Windows Media 9, try the 8Mbps HD 1080-30p template or the 6 Mbps HD 720-30p template, depending.

Quote:
I forgot to tell u that WMP plays the hdv video in 4:3 aspect ratio.Suggestions?
That will be related to pixel aspect ratio. That should be 1.3333 for HDV 1080, or 1.0 for HDV 720p. See it in File | Render As | Windows Media Video 9 | Custom | Video | Pixel Aspect Ratio. If you start with one of the above templates it should be correctly set.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Trustee

Excuse me ,talking about Pal settings?
"For Windows Media 9, try the 8Mbps HD 1080-30p template or the 6 Mbps HD 720-30p template, depending. "
ican't find the solution hd1080-25
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Marcus, after selecting WMV as the file type, click in the Template box and you'll see 5 Mbps HD 720-25p Video and 6.7 Mbps HD 1080-25p Video options.
Select either of these, click Custom, click in the Template box at the top of the Project tab and you'll see even more options.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Trustee

Thank you,really appreciate your suggestions guys!
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #15
Trustee

Guys just finished to render with the setting WMP9......It is a file of500 kb,how is it possible?
a 11 minutes video rendered in 2 hours and 23 minutes!I think something is wrong.
The same video rendered in cineform:20 minutes.

My pc: 4gb Ram,Nvidia quadro fx 3700,extreme x9000.
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...