DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Video resizing question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/146771-video-resizing-question.html)

Marcel D. Van Someren March 27th, 2009 12:18 PM

Video resizing question

It's been a while since I used Vegas Pro 8. I normally use another NLE but there's a particular plugin I need to use that I only have for Vegas.

I've searched this forum for the answer to the following question but wasn't able to find the answer, which I'm sure is simple to those of you that use Vegas all of the time. Perhaps my search criteria wasn't correct? None the less...

When I load an HDV m2t file into Vegas (with the proper HDV 16x9, 1.3333 timeline settings) the image in the preview monitor has black bars on top and bottom - The preview frame is 16x9 but the video is vertically squished. It also renders that way.

I know I've fixed this in the past but just can't remember how I did it.

I checked the box on the render screen "Stretch to fit, do not letter box"

I tried the Crop function too, and it didn't help.

So the question is, how can I manually adjust the size of the video to fully fit the 16x9 preview screen so it will render correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Harper March 27th, 2009 12:39 PM

Are your project settings set like this?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/j...er-albums.html

Also make sure to right click on preview window and click simulate device.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 27th, 2009 12:46 PM

Yes, except it's 24p and progressive instead of blend.

I just need to know how I can manually manipulate (stretch) the video size. I can do this in every other NLE i've used. And, I'm pretty sure i've done it in Vegas in the past...I just can't remember.

Jeff Harper March 27th, 2009 12:56 PM

If your project settings match the original footage it will not appear squished.

That's what I don't understand. If you are rendering to another size, like non-hd 16:9 then look at this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...dvd-vegas.html

Marcel D. Van Someren March 27th, 2009 03:18 PM

I don't understand why it's happening either. The file looks fine in other NLEs.

Regardless of what's causing the problem, isn't there a way to manually set the X and Y pixel size of the video clip on the timeline to fit the preview screen? I just need to know how to do that in Vegas. At this point, I really don't care about what's causing it because I need to get this done ASAP. I'll go back and figure out why later. In the meantime, can anyone tell me how to adjust the size manually?

Jeff Harper March 27th, 2009 03:30 PM

You can use pan and crop tool to resize your video. Use the match output setting in pan and crop.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 27th, 2009 03:55 PM

I thought I tried just about everything with the pan and crop tool, but I will try again when I get home tonight. It seems odd that you just can't simply resize the video by entering the resolution directly or a percentage.

Jeff Harper March 27th, 2009 04:05 PM

It seems to me your project properties cannot be correct. That has to be the source of the issue. You said you don't care what's causing it, but what is causing it is exactly what you need to know. Because it is not a bug with Vegas, it is your settings.

Also, you didn't say what you are rendering to...that can be a separate issue causing video to be distorted.

At any rate, good luck. Upload a photo of your project settings if you want. That might help us help you.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 27th, 2009 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe my settings are correct. Here thy are:

It's not that I don't care at all what's causing it, It's just that I would just like to get through this by manually adjusting the clip (like I can do in other NLE's). I do ultimately want to know what is causing it. I'm rendering back to m2t to put back in my other NLE.

Jeff Harper March 28th, 2009 05:11 AM

I'm sorry, Marcle, but as you said your settings do look correct.

I'm going throught the same thing in a photography forum regarding operation of my new camera. I cannot find the solution to an issue, and if someone could sit down with me, they could fix my problem instantly, instead they are telling me I'm doing it wrong and cannot offer help.

I feel the same here...I feel that if I was sitting at your PC I could find the problem instantly. I could be wrong, but this just seems too basic.

Jeff Harper March 28th, 2009 05:24 AM

Forgive me, Marcus, but are you sure your files are M2T? Did you definitely shoot in hi def mode? Not SD? Not 4:3?

If they are m2t, and what your have is skinny little black bars on the side, then match output aspect setting in pan and crop will take the bars away. I'm using that for a project now, and though I recommended it earlier you didn't mention if you tried it.

If you want send us a screen shot of your preview window, it would help.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 28th, 2009 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's definately .m2t it's a capture straight out of a Canon XH-A1. I only shoot in HD.

If I load this file into Premier Pro CS3, Edius Pro, or SpeedEdit, it displays properly. At this point, I think I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Vegas. Perhaps a file or codec has become corrupted...

Here's the preview window:

Jeff Harper March 28th, 2009 08:00 AM

Where is Edward when we need him?

Thanks for the screen shot, if you have right clicked on the preview window and made sure "simulate device aspect ratio" is checked then, unless I'm missing something I cannot imagine what is wrong.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 28th, 2009 11:06 AM

Well, reinstalling Vegas did the trick. The video now shows up in the proper aspect ratio. I'm still totally dismayed by the fact that you can't simply just adjust the size of the video clip. But no matter, I can now apply that plug-in I need to and move the clip back to my primary NLE, Newtek's SpeedEdit.

Thanks.

Jeff Harper March 28th, 2009 10:12 PM

I would never in a million years have thought the issue was with Vegas in this case, I congratulate you for finding a solution on your own.

I am glad you are back on track.

I just finished an all day shoot so I'll see you around!