Question, kind of dumb, about color correction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Question, kind of dumb, about color correction

So, I'm trying to color correct a face in a video and it unfortuantely kind of matches a section of the background. When I sample the color using the secondary color wheel, it then also grabs the section in the background too so any adjustments I make also go onto the background.

Is there a way to just select the face?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That is an excellent question, I have had the same problem, I am anxious to see if anyone has a solution for it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Old Boot

Hmmm...

The idea here would be for me to create a "mask" that was based on some "other" vector than "colour". It could be Luminance or Gamma or contrast. Once I would have isolated this area of effectiveness then I would literally use it to MASK out the 2nd CC to that and ONLY that area. It could also mean me needing to create yet another interim garbage matt/mask that would allow me to insert another masking layer. After ALL this you may just take the pragmatic and say . ."Life's too short . . " and move on? As this takes time and time is money, you may just think is it worth it. When I do this work, I charge.

This is really too difficult to describe over a "text-based" Forum . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

How long is the clip? Could you create a regular mask on a duplicate layer that just exposes the face? This would be time consuming if it's a long clip and the face keeps shifting around the frame, of course, but if it's a short clip it might be your best (and most straightforward) option. Got a still you can post?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

maybe you could explain to me how a persons skin tone exactly matches the background?

is it a theater production and the makeup person wanted to pull your chain? perhaps the lighting person hates you?

just kidding about the MU and Lighting but seriously I'm not sure I've ever a skintone match the background like that.

curious.
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Its a strange situation, and is really only one part of the background.

In Final Cuts Color, this is easy as pie to do. Hmm. Since switching, I think I found the ONLY instance where I miss Final Cut.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

How is it done in Final Cuts Color?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...