how to import TARGA sequence at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how to import TARGA sequence

i asked my client for a animated logo and they send me a ZIPPED file with this message ..

"Zip File is a TARGA sequence of animated logo of AAG. You should transfer this file in the edit software then you should import all files on you software. It’s an animated logo …"

i have no idea what a TARGA file is , and i only use Vegas as my editor ... how do i use it in Sony Vegas 8.0

thanks
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Not sure about Vegas...

First you have to unzip the file to your hard drive, which you no doubt already did. It probably contained a few hundred to possibly thousands of files all with the same name and a different number at the end (sequential starting from 001 or 000). For example, AAG001.tga, AAG002.tga, etc. The files should all end in .tga extension. Each file is one frame of the animation.

Not sure about the import process in Vegas, but in Avid I would just import the lowest numbered file like any other still image and make sure I had the "autodetect sequential images" box checked. The software recognizes that it's a targa sequence, imports all the numbered files in the correct order, and assembles the animation into a clip. Super easy.

If Vegas can't assemble the TGA sequence automatically, then you just have to import all the individual frames as still images and assemble them yourself to make the animation.
Adam Bauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Targa is simply another graphics format like "JPG" or "BMP"

To import them, go to file - Import, pick the first image, and then make sure you check the "Image sequence" box. Then it will pull all the images onto the timeline as a single event.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bauser View Post
First you have to unzip the file to your hard drive, which you no doubt already did. It probably contained a few hundred to possibly thousands of files all with the same name and a different number at the end (sequential starting from 001 or 000). For example, AAG001.tga, AAG002.tga, etc. The files should all end in .tga extension. Each file is one frame of the animation.

Not sure about the import process in Vegas, but in Avid I would just import the lowest numbered file like any other still image and make sure I had the "autodetect sequential images" box checked. The software recognizes that it's a targa sequence, imports all the numbered files in the correct order, and assembles the animation into a clip. Super easy.

If Vegas can't assemble the TGA sequence automatically, then you just have to import all the individual frames as still images and assemble them yourself to make the animation.
all the files i recieved are TIF files ... is that tight? can it be a TARGA sequence file or do i need to have a TGA files ? there are like 500 TIF files
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Do you know if it's supposed to be around a 17 sec. animation?
As far as files are concerned, TIFs & TARGAs are two different file formats so it's possible your client got the two confused.

It doesn't make any difference though as Vegas will import both formats.
Use the import process Edward described.

I'd convert the TIFs to PNG though as the TIF format relies on QuickTime and "calls it" for every single frame, potentially slowing you down.
Use a (free) program like IrfanView to do a batch conversion to PNG which is a file format Vegas likes.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...