.VOB to .AVI - Best way for use in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Major Player

.VOB to .AVI - Best way for use in Vegas?

A client gave me some .vob footage to edit. I downloaded MPEG Streamclip and got a nice looking AVI export. Tried to import into Vegas but it only accepts the audio on the timeline. I tried various codecs on the Streamclip export with same result. So the first question is, does anyone know of SC codec that will produce a file I can use in Vegas? As a workaround I imported the file I produced from SC into Windows Movie Maker and created a new AVI which looks just ok but not great. Any other ideas for a workflow to from .vob into vegas?

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Try the File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc option.
When the requestor comes up, simply browse to the folder on your heard drive where the VOB is and click on it.
Follow the prompts that follows and you'll end up with an MPG file in your project.
Render this to AVI if you want or just use it as is.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Major Player

When I browse using theDVD Camcorder option I can't see the VOB file. Interestingly if I use Import Media - I can see the file and can import into the project. When I put the vob on the timeline however, only 10 seconds of the 15 minute clip show up.
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Art,
can you see the VOB files in a normal Win explorer window? If so, can you drag them into the project media window directly from explorer? You may have already tried this but sometimes in the past I have found that the Vegas explorer doesn't 'see' certain file types but if you drag them in directly from a win explorer window, they load in just fine. My memory is that .VOB files are some of these.

Regards,
David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Warrilow View Post
Hi Art,
can you see the VOB files in a normal Win explorer window? If so, can you drag them into the project media window directly from explorer?
Thanks - I'll try that though I suspect that may have the same result as import media in which case I still need to figure out why Vegas is only seeing 10 seconds of the 15 minute clip.

Art
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
When I browse using theDVD Camcorder option I can't see the VOB file.
Art, make sure the VOB file is in it's own folder.
Then browse only as far as the folder and click OK.
It should then import for you.
I just tried this with a VOB file that I grabbed from an existing DVD folder on one of my hard drives and it worked for me.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...