Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 129 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 13th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #1921
Trustee

Very Buggy

Has anyone else found Vegas to be buggy? It crashes very frequently, totally at random. Occasionally there's an exception message but not usually - usually it just closes. I'm pressing the save button every 30 seconds out of paranoia. And this is after I downloaded the 5.0a update. Any ideas?
Old June 13th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #1922
Old Boot

I use my V5a for my business. It wont crash - User error stuff and hwere I've tried to introduce some 3rd party plugin that I've not set up well .. . but nope .. crashes are nornally down t me . .Can you give us an idea of what you are doing when this happens ... or better still do you get an ERROR report? I've sent these off to Sony Support for them to "decipher2 . . .I aint no programmer!

Grazie
Old June 13th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1923
Sponsor: JET DV

I assume you are talking about Vegas 5. I have not noticed it to be overly buggy. I have managed to crash it a time or two but, overall, it has operated very well for me.
Old June 13th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #1924
Trustee

Often I get no error report - it just shuts down.

I just realized that the problem may have started when I switched to the Creative ASIO drivers so I can mix in 5.1. I'm going to try updating them and see if that solves it.
Old June 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #1925
RED Code Chef

The most common problem with applications and crashes in
Windows self is drivers. That is the number 1 problem. The
second problem is usually some component that has failed
(cooling fans or cracks [unvisible] in the mainboard that expand
when they heat up etc.).

I've had 1 crash under Vegas 4 and zero under 5 thusfar. What
you can easily do is switch to a non ASIO driver in Vegas to test
it (if you don't need to do 5.1 mixing).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 13th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #1926
Trustee

Right, like I said it may have started when I switched to ASIO. I hadn't been using ASIO until recently when I started some 5.1 mixing. Prior to that I don't recall any crashes. I'm hoping that's it. ;)

I remember 4.0d used to crash a few times but I determined that was because of my firewire hard drive and the 1394 interface. So it may very well be a driver problem, yet again. *sigh*. Can I get no good stable sound card drivers?
Old June 13th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #1927
RED Code Chef

Delayed file write errors can be quite ciritical depending on what
the file is. You get this error when Windows has cached some
writes and cannot commit them to disk. It can't connect to the
disk for some reason. This can happen due to faulty cables,
bad drives or conflicts.

What camera are you capturing from? If it is a Canon the camera
is probably hogging the bus. I could not capture to my firewire
drive when my XL1S was connected and I just read someone
else has similar problems with his XM2.

I personally solved this by connecting my external drive through
USB2, but I'm not sure the Lacie has such a connector.

It might be solved if you can get a second firewire card in there
and connect the drive to another card than the drive.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #1928

Beta test file

Gang, I've uploaded our Beta Testing file for Vegas 5 up to the Sundance site. We used this throughout the various builds of V5 in Beta. It should open fine in your build 134.
http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/help/kb
It's a 5.1 file, using many of the new features found in Vegas 5. You don't NEED 5.1 to test it, but it surely is handy. I also would like to get your feedback on making it a new render test base, because 3D really chokes down the render times. So does motion blur, and this project has all of that and more. Check out the pitched Windows audio in the timeline.
You can also check out the dual monitor setup that I often use for video editing. I'm sure your colors will be different, due to the various themes I use, but you'll get the idea.
http://www.vasst.com
Old June 13th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #1929
Regular Crew

I am trying to capture to the external HD via firewire. This Lacie HD just allows you to connect via firewire. I used a Canon GL2 and will be trying a Sony PD 170. I have no troulbe accessing file from the ext. hd until I prepare to use the drive during capture. I am using two separate firewire ports for the cam and the hd. Can some one please help?

Thanks.

Al
Old June 14th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #1930
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : So it may very well be a driver problem, yet again. *sigh*. Can I get no good stable sound card drivers? -->>>

We use gear from Korean St-audio (now ESI / Ego Systems )
with rock solid ASIO performance - have a look at the "DSP24 MEDIA 7.1" at http://www.staudio.com

/magnus
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #1931
Inner Circle

knock on wood, ive never had a crash, unless ive used the shuttle slider (playback speed duration slider) all teh way and its locked onto my new mouse, then it flies around and crashes, but i know it to be a mouse issue.. not a vegas issue..

apart from that, its rock solid, which is more i can say for any other Video Editing app out there.
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #1932
Regular Crew

Is there a way to switch off 16:9 auto detection?

All the footage that we are shooting is in 16:9 (stretched on a GL2) and is automatically imported into the media pool of V5 as widescreen footage. We want to edit it as stretched 4:3 DV so that it plays smooth throughout editing and so that it looks better on our 16:9 NTSC monitor (which can internally convert the footage to widescreen).

V4 did not automatically detect 16:9 footage, and we did not convert it to widescreen until rendering. I would like to know if this is a setting in V5 which can be turned off. The manual is unclear if this is possible.

Brad
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1933
Trustee

Well, knock on wood as well, since I updated to the new SB ASIO drivers haven't had a single crash. Thanks for the tips guys. I should not be so quick to blame the software. :)
Old June 14th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #1934
Regular Crew

Albert,

This sounds exactly like the trouble I've had when using an external hard drive and a GL2 with the same FireWire card. In my case, the drive is a FireWire Direct 200 GB FireWire 800 drive and the card is a FireWire Direct FireWire 800 card with a legacy FireWire 400 6 pin port on it. The solution for me was to add another generic (TI chipset! - stay away from VIA or anything else) FireWire card in the computer. I've had no problems with this setup. The only problem I've had since going to this setup is that a coworker inadvertantly plugged the GL2 into the combo card and I saw the exact same error message you're seeing. Switching the camera to the other card solved the problem.

Good Luck
Old June 14th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #1935
Major Player

I'm guessing you mean "squeezed" on the GL2 vs. stretched (DV Widescreen is anamorphic on the GL2 and other cams with this feature). Once you bring the video onto the Vegas timeline, you can go to File/Properties and set the aspect ratio to DV Widescreen (1.2121). That will make the video in Vegas look like it will look when displayed properly on a widescreen display. As you noted, when rendering out your edited version, you need to select the DV Widescreen template.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...