Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #331
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, it's the full version of Vegas.
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #332

You will have to position the cursor in the proper spot in order for the correct overlap to occur on a newly added clip. However, there ARE some ways to adjust the cursor position. When you click on the timeline, there will be the timecode position in the lower right hand corner. If you double-click that timecode, you can then type in the exact value for cursor placement. So, if you wanted a 1 second dissolve, just change the second position to be one smaller.

To EASILY overlap a clip with the previous clip, check out Neon and Excalibur. See the Overlap Wizard in Neon and the Gap Wizard in Excalibur.
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #333
Major Player

Matter of fact, I don't think there even exists such a thing as a stripped down version of Vegas. The free demo has limitations of course, not least where outside licences are involved (Dolby and Main Concept) but that's another story. There is, however Vegas 4 and Vegas 4+DVD. The difference is DVD Architect which is a bargain because it includes the Dolby AC-3 encoder.
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #334
Major Player

Thanks for your replies!

Edward - I better get my scripting knowledge udated ;-) I do work as a professional .Net developer, so making a few scripts myself for Vegas should be fun, or else - defeat - and buy the already made working ones :-)

// Lazze \\
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #335
Regular Crew

I don't want to drag this thread too far, but I thought some might be interested in my weekend attempts. I tried the un-install, re-install suggestion and I got the same error messages using both the Vegas 4.0 rendered MPEG2 and AVI files. I downloaded a trial copy of TMPGEnc and used it to render the MPEG2 file from the Vegas AVI file. Viola! MyDVD didn't complain about the file format and it proceeded to a successful DVD burn. I haven't fixed the real problem, but at least I have a work-around. I'll buy a registered version of TMPGEnc soon. It has the flexibility and options to make MyDVD happy

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Joseph
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #336
Trustee

Don

I do not have a camera capable of shooting 30p or 24p. My only concern so far is to deinterlace interlaced footage. I think Mr. Bruner hit the nail on the head:

Rendering to progressive does the trick in it's entirety. I believe he means that's all I need to do in order to deinterlace. I don't need to right click each clip on the timeline and I don't have to set up the project properties to progressive. Did I get that correct?
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #337

I agree. I know of NO stripped down version of Vegas. There's Vegas, Vegas+DVD, and the demos of each. Of course if you WANT something that is like a stripped down Vegas, there's always "Screenblast"!
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #338

Lars, the scripting language is, I believe, one of the greatest features of Vegas 4. You can automate tasks such as this to work the way YOU want them to work. With Excalibur & Neon, we've tried to give you a series of functions to help extend the power of Vegas.
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #339

If MyDVD is not happy with the Vegas created file, there is some setting that is incorrect in the custom screens. Compare the TMPGenc settings with the Vegas Custom settings. Make sure the Vegas settings match.

Also, which Vegas templates did you try? You may want to try the DVD Architect presets as well. If you want audio in the MPEG file, just turn the audio back on in the custom screen.
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #340
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

60i to 30 progressive ..
there are different ways to get progressive ..
1) you can set up your project (VEG) properties as Progressive ( field order NONE) .. and then choose BLEND as deinterlace method... when you render double check the field order ( none)

2) your project properties is interlace ... then when you render you change field order to NONE .. but it will not tell you which deinterlace method you choose .. so before you render - check project properties to make sure it is BLEND.

3) you can also Print to tape from Time line - again you can go into custom and choose progressive etc . Vegas will have to render every frame from interlace to progressive ...
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #341
Trustee

Thanks a mil, Don!
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #342
Inner Circle

Record into Vegas and monitor with Real-time audio effects?

For example, I might be interested in getting a deep announcer's voice. Is it possible to setup Vegas so that it applies audio effects so I can monitor what the effects will do and adjust my mic technique accordingly?
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #343
New Boot

Thanks for the quick responses, I placed it on order today.

Sincerely,

Paul Rooney
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #344

Paul, welcome to the Vegas family.
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #345
Regular Crew

Vegas default display

Apologies in advance for my stupidity...

I downloaded the demo version of Vegas 4 a couple of days ago, and have done a lot of playing around. I really like the product and have found it easy to navigate and for the most part fairly intuitive. Until, that is, I inadvertently changed the "tiling" of the default workspace, if that's the correct word. Where I was previously able to see both the Media FX screen and the Preview screen at the same, I now have to tab between the two.

This is, obviously, frustrating as I cannot see the effect of adjusting an FX in "real time": I have to make the adjustment and then tab to the Preview screen to see what it looks like.

Try as I might, I just cannot tile the screens so that both are visible at the same time.

I would be grateful if anybody could tell me how I can achieve this and, preferably, return to the default workspace.

Many thanks
Duncan Wilson
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...