Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 37 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 26th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #541
Regular Crew

Fading between two tracks

I am trying to fade between two different video tracks. I can simulate what I want to do by pulling down and pushing up the opacity line while the video is playing on the top track. How do I get this to do the fade where I want when I want?
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #542
Inner Circle

Paul,
You can "pull the corners" of the clips or events on the tracks to adjust the opacity of the events so they will fade in and/or out.
Don
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #543
Sponsor: JET DV

Naturally, it's easiest if you put them both on the same track and then overlap them. However, it they MUST be on different tracks, just fade out the ending one while fading in the beginning one. As Don said, just move the mouse to the upper outer corner (beginning or ending depending on which clip) until you get the quarter moon icon. Then click and drag toward the center of the clip.
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:23 PM   #544
Regular Crew

Actually you should fade out the topmost media and don't worry about fading in on the lower one.

Gary
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:44 AM   #545
Major Player

If you want to resume the upper track i.e. letting the other track just fade in and out again, you can split the upper track. (Select the event, place the cursor and hit the key s. You may want to click "Ignore event grouping" before you do that. Otherwise you'll split all video and audio events currently grouped with the one you're fading.) To get the new edges exactly where you want your fades to end/begin, just click-drag them.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:58 AM   #546
Major Player

B&W to color over time?

This is probably the simplest question to ever hit the board, but im baffled.

I want to do a transition from black&white footage to color footage smoothly over the time line.

Any help?

Thanks,

John
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:01 AM   #547
Major Player

Yup Peter is right, movie DVD's are not HD.

Or you could however save the footage as a data DVD and do it that way, You could watch it on a PC.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #548
Major Player

One simple way to do it would be to have the media on two tracks - one colour, one B&W above, then fade the upper down to reveal the lower.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #549
Major Player

However (having finally bothered to check it out) the simplest is to use the keyframes in the B&W FX.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #550
Major Player

Thanks Tor,

Ill have to try these out, The keyframes is something im ignorant to as well, so I guess ive got some studying to do!
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:59 AM   #551
Major Player

Ah ha, that was easy. Keyframes that is, 2 minutes to figure out how to do...2 months I waited to ask how to do it!
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #552
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the information. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #553

Keyframes: One of the most important concepts to learn to take editing to the next level.

First keyframe at the beginning: B&W. Second keyframe at the end: color.

However, this WON'T work in ALL cases. For example, if you wanted to go from plain to embossed, there's an embossed option you can pick. However, the transition between the two goes through some really strange steps. In this case you need to render an embossed version and then use a standard fade to go between the two.
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #554

<<<-- Originally posted by Gary Kleiner : Actually you should fade out the topmost media and don't worry about fading in on the lower one.

Gary -->>>

The ONLY time this has NOT worked for me is if the upper clip has transparancy (usually a title in my case) or the clip does not fill the full screen. So, there ARE times when the lower one need to be set to fade in.
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #555
Major Player

Thanks, good to know DVD cannot support beyond 480x720.

I guess there is really no point then to shoot in HD, 480x720 widescreen is the furthest to go.

Is there some kind of HD DVD coming soon? Presumably in a few years, every one would have HDTV.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...