Vegas fans and other PC editors. Have you seen this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 11th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas fans and other PC editors. Have you seen this?

I'm an Aspect HD user and fan. This should be of interest to all PC editors.

http://www.cineform.com/products/ConnectHD.htm
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #2
Tourist

Hi Raymond,

Pardon my newbie-ness, but how does ConnectHD improve editing HD in Vegas?

I recently purchased Vegas and have been natively editing my Mpeg-TS files (captured with the JVC HD1 tool) and exporting to a variety of formats (MPEG2, WM9 etc.).

Specifically, what part(s) of the workflow does this new product improve? Are there additional steps (i.e. time consuming conversion to the cineform AVI format)?

Maybe David Newman is around to add some more about ConnectHD for the non-Premiere camp?

David: Is there a plan to add real-time transitions etc. that will work within Vegas?

Thanks.

Frank.
Frank Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

To be honest I don’t know. I’ve been using Aspect HD with Premiere 6.5 for just a short time and find it a great experience. This is due primarily to the real time previews. I’m a newbie to NLE myself and as such trial and error has been my prime learning experience. The real time previews are extremely helpful to that process. Connect HD doesn’t seem to tout real time previewing so I would assume there must be another prime advantage.

I have done some test output to DVD mpeg and the results are great. I think the “over sampling” of converting 720P to 480P does result in a higher quality DVD. I also plan to output to DVHS in 720P for playback on my HD capable projector. So far as I can determine, at least on the computer screen, there doesn’t seem to be any visible degradation in manipulating content within the Aspect codec. If all the above is also the case with native Vegas, then I would also hope David could elaborate on the advantages of using Connect HD.
Old December 12th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Just like with Aspect HD, the Connect HD product greatly enhances performance, now for editing tools like Vegas. Although Vegas is one of the few applications that can be setup to work with m2t files directly, the editing experience is slow even on the fastest of PCs. Using Connect HD you will experience a 3 times performance increase over editing m2t natively. In addition as you are now editing AVI files, your options are hugely increased as AVIs can be manipulated in nearly all PC video tools. Connect HD is not a replacement for Aspect HD (our highest performance product) as CHD doesn't include the real-time video "pipeline" that we run under Adobe Premiere. The plug-in structure of Vegas wouldn't support that much enhancement. Aspect HD delivers 30 fps real-time on multiple HD streams, Connect HD is video processing accelerator with support for existing Vegas effects and transitions.
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #5
Trustee

David, would it be fair to say that Connect HD is a import/export utility plus fast AVI codec?

Do you have any test results comparing Connect vs Aspect on the same computer running PremierePro?

Thanks.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This sound real good. Can't wait to see more about it.

Mike
Old December 13th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Alex,

You have the description of Connect HD right on.

Aspect HD will definitely outperform Connect HD under Premiere (6.5 or Pro). As Connect HD and Aspect HD for Pro is likely to ship around the same time, AHD will be the best choice. Connect HD was focused for Vegas and to a lesser extent After Effects users, yet it will work on most PC tools. This does mean Premiere users on a tight budget could use CHD instead.

David.
Old December 14th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #8
Major Player

I saw this running at DVExpo West last week. CineForm's Prez David Taylor was demoing it in the JVC booth.

For Vegas lovers it looks great!

DBK
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #9
Trustee

I use Premiere but I do most of my Colour Correction and image manipulation in AE. Would I benefit from AspectHD or would the ConnectHD be better suited.
Does AHD improve upon Premiere's abilities as far as CC.
Thanks
Ken.
Old December 15th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD provides two real-time color correctors. One is a simple linear corrector with basic control for course adjustments on red, green, blue, brightness, contrast and saturation. The second is a highlights, mid-tones, shadows, gamma based RGB color corrector. Both can be used on HD footage in real-time. You can still use the existing color correctors (like the new Premiere Pro CC is quite noice), but those will not be real-time. Once things are real-time it is hard to part with.
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #11
Trustee

Thanks David.
RT is sweet candy ;>)
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #12

best part...

capture and PTT.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...