.avi files look jittery in DVD Architect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Tourist

.avi files look jittery in DVD Architect

Hi THERE!

Recently, when I render a file out as .avi from Vegas 8.0 and import said file into DVD Architect the movie looks jittery. I've tried rendering out several different projects as .avi and they all jitter. It's very odd. I tried burning a DVD but it doesn't fix the problem.

The weird thing is, I've been burning DVD's using .avi files for years in Architect 4.0 and Vegas 6. I'm on two trial versions for the latest software and just recently the .avi files will not play correctly.

Any suggestions? I've got 11 days left on my Vegas trial and I have been killing myself over this film for years, I just want to have this thing done and now this obstacle has appeared. It is so frustrating it's like I'm gonna die. Please help.

Thank you.
Evan B. Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Sounds like an interlacing issue to me. If you're set to lower, change it to upper (i.e. change it) and see what that does.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Edward, shouldn't he be rendering to mpeg for best results anyway?

When you render to avi DVDA has to re-render the footage. There is no point I can see to rendering to avi for DVDA purposes.

Unless I'm missing something here, you should render your movie using the MainConcept DVDA mpeg2 template. then bring into Vegas. Even if it worked for you before, it wasn't the ideal way to do it anyway, unless I'm mistaken.

For your DVDA menu movies use the same template, but click on the custome tap, video tab and change field order to none/progressive. Again, if you use avi files DVDA will simply render them for you, but again you will experience some loss in quality.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me, but that is how I've learned to do it in this forum.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

This is an intersting thread,

I have rendered to mp2 out of vegas only to have dvdA rerender it again and have a definite reduction in quality, perhaps enabling smart render would end that, eh? You would think it would not do that!!
With cineform, I render a master track which is avi, then import that which is then encoded to mp2. I do not think there is a loss in quality doing that is there??

I would think that compressing more than once would never be a good idea.
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dale, I always use the settings above (for SD) and Vegas never re-renders. Now if you render a movie that is expressly for the DVD menu with regular mpeg2 DVDA template, it will re-render unless you use progressive setting as outlined above. when you render progressive it will not re-render.

The bottom line is if your render is DVDA compliant DVDA will not re-render. If you're experiencing re-rendering then your Vegas render is somehow not compliant and you need to check your settings. BTW same goes for audio, but I'm sure you know that.

On the other hand if you use a menu that has motion buttons that use the feature movie clip there is some rendering involved but I haven't done that in a long time and I forget what is affected.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

If you render to the DVD Architect preset AND the file sizes are small enough to fit, DVD Architect definitely should NOT re-render.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward. That's right of course...DVDA will re-render if the file is too large too fit as is.

Also Dale, the cineform thing, if you're rendering with cineform to avi and that is lossless, then your second render out of Vegas should be fine. You don't have a choice anyway!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...