Copying discs made in Sony DVD Recorder from firewire - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Ron, you're right. I probably am not finalizing the +RW when I remove it and I believe that the PC can read a +RW without it being finalized (but it does pause and do some writing to the disk before it will let it eject.

I wasn't necessarily trying to force my process or workflow on you, but rather just pointing out that with the below workflow as an example, I have never encountered a problem creating a disk that could not be read on the PC ... whether you are ripping out the mpeg file like I do or just making an exact copy, it should be able to work fine ... and maybe the below would offer some clues as to where to look in your process to find out what is not working as you want.

by the way, I just noticed that you are making copies without copying it to the hard drive first (I think?).. I would recommend to create an image or copy on the hard drive first (many copying programs have this as an option) as the timing can be quite complex and this may be the source of your troubles. If you have a drive that is not your primary hard drive but is mounted on SATA or IDE that would be your best bet for using as an image drive. I would look at this area more closely as a possible source of problem.

good luck!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #17
Inner Circle

For Sony DVD camcorders they make a point of saying that although DVD+RW can be played in a player without finalizing, for a PC to read them they need to be finalized. Maybe your DVD recorder is behaving in the same way.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Dave & Ron.

The problem disc is actually a -R. I have tried one -RW & it failed to record properly on the GX7 initially, & I haven't persued it further. However, whilst I did not copy by recording to the HD first, my friend did on his PC and it also failed at about 80%.

Maybe I should try recording to the HD first on my machine & see if I still have the same trouble, but I think the result would be the same.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...