URGENT: NO Space on C: Hard Drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 1st, 2004, 02:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

URGENT: NO Space on C: Hard Drive

Hey Guys,
Here's the problem. I am trying to print to DV a 1 1/2 hour project. I have rendered one hour and printed it to dv tape. I can't complete the rendering process because of low disk space on my 80 GB C: drive. I have moved and deleted all possible files on c: drive to give me more space (this is how I was able to render the the first hour). I can't delete another thing. I have a partitioned 250 GB Hard Drive in which all the clips for this project are stored. It has over 60 GB worth of space free. Is there any way to safely transport this project over to the 250 GB hard drive? When rendering, where are these files stored? Are they stored in a Vegas program file? If so, are is this a temp. file? Would I have to move the entire Vegas program in c: drive to the 250 GB drive? If so, what is the safest way to do this (if neccessary)? Please someone help me? This project is due Monday (Feb. 2) morning.

Thanks in advance.

Albert Rodgers
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1st, you really should have a dedicated drive other than your system drive for your veg files and rendered avi/mpeg files.
2nd, I'm a little confused about what you're saying as far as rendering and PTT as they are 2 different actions. If you are RENDERING to say AVI or MPEG then you can specify where to store the finished product-"c" drive (not a good thing) or whatever drive you have available BUT when you PTT (print to tape) the time line never goes to a drive-it goes to a machine that has tape in it and the timeline prints to tape so it should never involve your system drive or any other drive.
Perhaps a little more info and I'm sure we'll be able to get you the right answer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Here's a quick answer that might work:

It's possible (I don't know) that Vegas is using the temp folder to store data for the rendering or whatever you are doing. This data, of course, can get very big. If you are using WinXP, the default location is on the C drive.

You can change the location of the temp folder to the 250Gb very easily like this:

Again, these instructions assume WinXP. If you have 98, it's slightly different.

1) Go to Start->Control Panel->System
2) Select the Advanced tab at the top of this window
3) Select "Environmental Variables" button at the bottom
4) Highlight the "Temp" line and click edit
5) Edit this line to whatever drive letter the 250Gb drive is, such as, D:\Temp
6) Do the same for Tmp
7) To be sure, do the same for the bottom box for system variables.

You can always change these back later if you wish. I think you have to restart to put these into effect.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM   #4
Major Player

60gig freespace on a 250gig drive. You are skating on thin ice. You are trying to do too much with a single, large drive. I agree with Don on this. It is essential that you use a seperate drive for your editing. Sounds like you have too much sitting in storage. Additional drives are cheap, go external for storage. You are looking at potential massive, catostrophic problems if you don't change the way you have your system set up.
Old February 1st, 2004, 12:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I would render out the project as one AVI file and then print to tape from that.

Go to file --> render as.
Select a drive with free space on it.
Uncheck render looped region only (something like that), so you render your entire project.
Hit ok and wait for the render.

When done, start a new project, put the newly rendered file in, and print to tape.

When you "selectively pre-render video", that video by default goes to some subdirectory on your C:\. Go to file --> properties --> prerendered files folder to change that.

2- You can get away with using your system/applications drive to store video. This isn't a problem unless other applications are trying to access the drive while you are capturing or printing to tape. A little program called "enditall" can help you shut down unnecessary programs. There may be still some programs that will try to access your hard drive like the Windows Indexing Service (winXP) and the networking services. Even if they do kick in, your hard drive might have enough throughput to handle both things. I don't see "massive, catostrophic problems" but you could run into problems. Now, if you run out of space then you do have massive, catostrophic problems.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 01:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I really don't understand the purpose of rendering to AVI then PTT. I routinly PTT 1 hour right off the timeline with no problem.

When putting a project together I will work a section the render as AVI then when all the AVI's are done I put them together in a new project. That way by using effects that might normally make for a 12 hour render can be done in short pieces but PTT takes no disc space at least no to my knowledge. It's printing to a tape in my deck not to a hard drive.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken but I just printed a project from my timeline to tape and looked to see if there was any change in my HDD space (all 4 of my drives) and nothing changed.

Thanks,
Don
Old February 1st, 2004, 02:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello,

Thanks for the input thus far. Here is a little more info. for clarification sake:

> I am using Win Xp.

> My .veg file is on the 250 GB drive along with the capture footage.

> When I access the 'Print Video to DV tape' menu, the first dialog window ask to choose DV template (I choose NTSC DV) and also I check the box theat says'render loop region only' ( I normally render a little over 1 hour at a time to print to mini-dv tape (for a 2 hour project)).

I con't until I get the last dialog window and hit 'Finish' If I have not rendered more than 80% of the project prior to the PVTDT process, I will get a dialog box that says ' more than 80% of the the region must be rendered' Do I want to con't- I say Yes.

Question: Where are these rendered files stored? There is not option in the Print Video to DV tape dialog that allows you to specify a drive for storage. Is it sent to a Temp file (as suggest in a previous post.) ?

My next steps:

I am going to try to reassign my Temp folder to the 250 GB hard drive as suggested to see if that will help.

Also, I may try to render the entire project as an AVI file and store it on the 250 GB hard drive.

I will take it one step at a time.

I will definitely let you know the results. If there are any more suggestions or commments, they would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Albert Rodgers

PS I'll be working throughout the Super Bowl. Work first, play later. Hum, Maybe I render during the Super Bowl and print to tape afterwards. We'll see. Thanks again.
Old February 1st, 2004, 02:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

OK I think I understand now.
First I would go into PREFERENCES and see where you have set up your files upon capture. I know it's too late now but lets go to step 1. I would also not move TEMP files they take little room. Capture to the 250 HDD and when you render out to AVI set the folder to the 250 HDD, just like when you set any other folder. Save your VEG files to the 250 HDD since you've only got the 2 drives I would keep all of that off the system drive.

Once again when printing to tape you do not need to render anything out, just go in to the TOOLS menu and Print to DV Tape straight from the timeline.

If you've already rendered out portions of the project to AVI put them on the timeline and Print to Tape as I described before. I've never run out of space when I PTT and I've done projects much longer than 1hour and 13 minutes. I think you're taking an extra step that isn'rs necessary to get your project back to tape.
Don

I'm editing my response because I just looked again at my set up and have to ask are you PTT from the TOOLS menu OR from the Video Capture screen?
Don
Old February 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am Print to DV tape from the TOOLS menu

BTW What is the difference? I have not used the other option.
Old February 1st, 2004, 03:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The other is from the capture menu in the program. I wouldn't worry about that. Again, I've never had a problem with the Print to Tape method of just going from the timeline to the PTT option in the Tools menu, it doesn't take any HDD space so you shouldbe able to do that without any space problems.
Don
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:25 PM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

There are several file placement parameters in Vegas. Go to both Options - Preferences and File - Properties to change where various types of files are stored. I suspect your problem is the directories listed in File - Properties needing to point the temporary file creation to the other drive.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I agree with Glen about rendering the entire project and then taking the avi to create a new project and then print to tape.

On a large project in Vegas this is sometimes the way you have to do it. I was just working with someone who had this problem last week with his hour and a half presentation. His computer was locking up and this solved the problem.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:02 PM   #13
RED Code Chef

Don, there really isn't a "problem" with PTT. BUT, if you have
effects (color correction) etc. it will need to render out those
sections before it can do a print to tape since it cannot do this
realtime. If you render out to a seperate file, start a blank
project and load the file and then PTT Vegas doesn't have to
render anything and can go straight to tape.

If you want to use PTT make sure Vegas is setup to place
the temp files in the correct directory as explained above. I
would not move the WINDOWS temp directory because
it is used by other applications besides Vegas. This will create
a lot of fragmentation on your video drives. Much better to just
tell Vegas where to store its temporary files.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I moved the temp folder under PREFERENCES from the C: drive to my 250 GB drive. This folder was taking up much of my space on the C: drive. It was full of prerendered clips from my previous projects. Is there a setting in Vegas to routinely clear this folder after a completely project?

So next time should I divided a long (1 hour+) project up into smaller segments and render to .avi before printing to tape?

Thanks again (especially Don) for all the help.

Sincerely,

Albert Rodgers
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:35 PM   #15
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Albert Rodgers : Is there a setting in Vegas to routinely clear this folder after a completely project? -->>>

Yes and No. The SAFEST way is to periodically go in and delete them. There's also an option to save pre-renders upon save and another option to clear pre-renders but I just delete them once the project is completed.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...