DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Premiere pro user, looking for reason to consider Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/21225-premiere-pro-user-looking-reason-consider-vegas.html)

Joe Sacher February 14th, 2004 07:20 PM

If you have a scroll wheel mouse, you can scroll it to zoom in quickly and this gets you where arrow keys move one frame. You can look at the time code in the bottom right to see if you are far enough in so the arrow keys are jumping one frame. I no longer use the keyboard for this, since I got the Shuttle Pro. Each indent is one frame at any zoom level.

Looking at the Shuttle Pro settings, F3 goes back by one frame and F9 goes forward by one frame. If you are just single stepping, this isn't too akward. If you are going back and forth, this will be more akward. If I am working on my laptop without the Shuttle Pro, I still use the wheel mouse.

If you do any amount of editing, you won't regret picking up a Shuttle Pro. It will work with whatever software program you decide on. :)

Marcia Janine Galles February 14th, 2004 07:55 PM

Sorry, I'm doing a lousy job of expressing myself clearly. I was speaking of audio scrubbing one frame at a time. I want to scrub/hear each single solitary frame, slowly, at my command. I can get the cursor to move one frame at a time fine, but I don't hear anything when I do it the way you guys suggest. (sigh) I want to pick up each frame's audio to delete the couple of mic crackles I'm hearing from when I stupidly adjusted the camera at the worst possible moment. But JKL, set to slow, zips it too fast, as does control with the mouse. Will keep trying. Maybe a beer would help. ;-)

P.S. I keep meaning to order the Shuttle Pro and haven't gotten around to it. Will go do it right now.

Edward Troxel February 14th, 2004 08:54 PM

As mentioned, you can hold down CTRL while dragging the cursor. To get exactly one frame at a time, zoom in on the timeline.

Why do you need a "hamburger menu"? I'm not sure WHAT you would need on it! Everything is already readily accessible - most is either on the toolbar or with a right-click.

As Glenn mentioned, you can double-click on the timecodes in the lower right-hand corner of the timeline. Type in the exact timecode you want and you will be taken directly there. Take a look at issue #8 of my newsletter

Marcia Janine Galles February 15th, 2004 11:47 AM

Well, hopefully the Shuttle Pro will let me configure it to move one frame and freeze w/o having to hit the space bar to freeze it there myself manually, cuz I can't stop it from advancing to the next frame to save my life. It has to be told to stop, and I want it to stop itself, like other programs. But thanks though.

Tom Kronberg February 15th, 2004 04:55 PM

Does vegas have an anti flicker filter like PPro? This will be very important to me as I'll be using Jpeg stills and anticipate combating flicker.
Also, I've read in a Vegas forum somewhere that Vegas doesn't encode WM9 as well as PPro, which is important because I plan on outputting Hi Def from my stills.
Thanks

Edward Troxel February 15th, 2004 05:12 PM

Yes it does. Search for "Reduce Interlace Flicker" (it's on the right-click menu when you right-click a picture)

Vegas does a fine job at encoding WMV9 but I've never done any comparisons.

Brian Standing February 17th, 2004 01:57 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Marcia Janine Galles : Well, hopefully the Shuttle Pro will let me configure it to move one frame and freeze w/o having to hit the space bar to freeze it there myself manually, cuz I can't stop it from advancing to the next frame to save my life. It has to be told to stop, and I want it to stop itself, like other programs. But thanks though. -->>>

[ALT-LEFT/RIGHT ARROW] will advance one frame in either direction.

Or... set the Time Region to one frame, press the "loop" button at the bottom of the timeline to on, and press the space bar. Vegas will cycle the one frame (or however long the time selection is) repeatedly until you tell it to stop.

Edward Troxel February 17th, 2004 02:02 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Standing : [ALT-LEFT/RIGHT ARROW] will advance one frame in either direction. -->>>

But it will NOT do so with audio.