Rendering takes a very long time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 6th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rendering takes a very long time

Hello fellow Vegas users:

I'm rendering an hour video with some background music and fade in/out effect but it takes such a long time. I render it as mpeg2 - dvd ntsc and it started rendering about 11 hours ago and according to the status windows, it says I have another 16 hours to go. As of right now, it rendered about 41 %. Is this normal with Vegas? Unlike Pinnacle Studio8 it took about 6 hours to render an hour video. Did I do something wrong?
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #2
Old Boot

Yup! Too much going on at once . .
This is what I do:-

1 - Render as AVI

2- THEN render as MPEG or some other flavour . . .

Try this as a test . .You could go over to the Vegas FOrum and sdo a search there for the typica;l render times . .. Yes, Vegas does take a lot of time .. Yoiu need to aquire a different workflow. remeber you can have more than one instance of Vegas open at any on time to allow you to get on with somthing else yeah?

Hope this helps ..

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

GB

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try AVI right now.
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

It also depends greatly on what effects/transitions/changes have beeen added/made to the video. For example, simply accidentally bumping the track transparency from 100% to 99% will have no visible difference but will have a dramatic render difference.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

for a quicker render, u can also right click on the file within the timeline and "Disable Resample" the will then only do a direct copy of the clip, and only resample the editied elements bing effects, transitions and titles.

make sure whenu select avi, its the wondows avi2 compliant which is compatible with sofo vid cap application.

the presets in the file types already have this.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Along these lines. I have a video project coming up that will be divided into 4 or 5 sections. My opening sequence will be in slo-mo using a velocity envelope, overlayed with pictures that will be transparent.

Will I be better off to render that clip seperately, probably to AVI, then add the following sections and render the whole?
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #7

If I have 4 or 5 distinct sections, I'll build 4 or 5 distinct projects and render each one separately. Once each section is finished, I build a final project consisting of those sections. That final project will render VERY quickly.
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #8
Inner Circle

be aware that even though Avi is a good format, the more you render, the more chance that quality will degrade.
Its still a compressed format.

you wil notice this degradation first with vertical lines in your footage.. when you see htee lines (look like vertical scanlines) you know when to stop re-rendering
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #9
Major Player

There shouldn't be any recompression going on when rendering an AVI to AVI, it should only compress anything that has changed. At least that's the way I understand it.
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #10

<<<-- Originally posted by Harry Settle : There shouldn't be any recompression going on when rendering an AVI to AVI, it should only compress anything that has changed. At least that's the way I understand it. -->>>

That is correct (assuming DV-AVI to DV-AVI). However the question becomes: did he do "something" to change it?
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Sorry, I was being selfish. I was referring to my rendering scenerio, in which I would be going DV-AVI to DV-AVI.

I know that like everyone else, I don't want to be overcompressing files either.
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #12
Major Player

OK. I just finished rendering my title sequence. 5 min AVI. 1.5gb file size.

Consiststs of a four min music track. Main track is slow motion, 5%. 1st overlay track is multiple 5-10 second video clips, cropped to an upper corner, edges feathered, transparent composite level over entire track. There is one 12 second jpeg collage consisting of ten layers, all pictures cropped.

Rendered it all out to ntsc DV, took only 24 minutes.
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #13

Render time doesn't sound bad for the amount of effects you mentioned.
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #14
Major Player

You are right Edward. I am very happy with the rendering time with my recent change to the P4 3.2.

I just rendered the 5 min AVI file to mpeg in 5 min 1 sec. AC3 in about 7 sec. Burned it in DVDA in 7 min.

All of your rendering tips have worked for me.

thanks

Now, all I have to do is complete filming, producing and editing the whole rest of the project.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...