Problems with live capture this weekend at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Problems with live capture this weekend

Hi,

I've read one of the threads particular to live capturing using Vegas and after some several hundred dropped frames in my live capture attempt this weekend I'm left wondering what I did wrong.

I purchased a new laptop. It's an Acer Aspire 2000. I had 40 Gigs of free space. I'm running XP Pro with Vegas 4 and feeding 4pin to 4pin from my GL2.

I think I saw somewhere in the 700's of dropped frames when I finally realized there was a problem. I'm leaving for Amsterdam Thursday to record 3 or 4 live shows and was planning on using the laptop but am now worried.

I am planning on running another test of just static stuff at my house to see if the defragmentation I did will help. Can those of you with direct to disc experince offer me any advice?

By the by, the laptop is a 1.6 GHz Centrino with 512M Ram and the video has it's own 64M ram (not shared). I didn't up the capture processes priority but will try this during the test.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:43 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm also wondering... should I consider a firewire external drive? I have a friend with a MAC who connects her Firewire drive to her firewire port, and then the camera to the extra Firewire port on the drive and records straight to the drive.

What sort of throughput would be necessary for this option? Is 40mb/s enough?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello,

when i capture to my laptop using the system drive in the laptop, i experience dropped frames.. but I purchased an external firewire/usb2 drive, (make sure it is 7200 rpm) and now I do not have any dropped frames..
Keep in mind this is not a live shoot, but a capture.. but i d believe it will work for you.. so yes i would get and external drive !!!
Mike
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:15 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Live capture does work fine (no more stress to the system than any normal capture) so the problem is likely computer related. How fast is the hard drive? Has it been defragged lately? How many other programs are running in the background? Is DMA on for the drive?

As for an external drive, that should work fine. In fact, I get FASTER throughput on my external drive than I do the one built-into the laptop. (but it IS a faster drive)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:42 PM   #5
Major Player

And you are plugging your camera in to the drive and the drive into the laptop?

That just seems weird. The data travels from the camera over the bus through the drive to the computer to be captured and sent back to the drive. Hmmm.... I just ordered a drive so if I can't figure out what the problem is with direct to the laptop is, hopefully the drive will do it.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:22 PM   #6
Major Player

I recently shot almost 12 hours of footage direct to an external firewire hard drive with no problems.

I used DVIO to capture, as it is a VERY small program that uses almost no system resources. I connected the hard drive to the laptop and then connected the camera to the hard drive.

My laptop specs are not impressive at all:

Celeron 500MHZ
196 MB Ram
5GB hard drive
Windows XP Pro

But like I said, I had absolutely no problems.
Jeff Toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Major Player

And will the DVIO format (DV type 2) import directly into Vegas or will I need to convert this after the fact thus practically negating the usefulness of direct to disc?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:59 PM   #8
Major Player

I didn't have any problems bringing the clips into Vegas at all.

No conversion needed.
Jeff Toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:00 PM   #9

Vegas captures DV Type 2.

Yes, I connect firewire from laptop to hard drive and then firewire from hard drive to deck. Seems to work fine. Captured about 4 hours yesterday this way with no dropped frames.
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

In any case I would keep a tape running as well, just to be safe!
How long will you be staying in Amsterdam? May I ask what you
will be shooting there? Have fun!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:24 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm waiting on the firewire drive right now to run some tests... it should be here in about an hour and a half.

I'll be in Amsterdam for 8 days and I'll be shooting a String Cheese Incident show at the Melkweg and then 3 ekoositk hookah shows at various places.

I'm doing a documentary of ekoostik hookah and their crew and the fans who follow them but we're also shooting the full Amsterdam shows for potential release.
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #12

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : In any case I would keep a tape running as well, just to be safe! -->>>

Definitely!!!! On our live shoot, we have tapes in each camera, tape the live mix in the deck, AND record directly to hard drive.
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #13
Major Player

:)

Oh... I'll have tapes in too. Definitely. I'm just trying to get the hard drive stuff figured out so that we have a better guarantee of sound without a break. We've got one camera and a soundbaord feed going into the laptop (with backup tape) and another camera with a stage mic (for matrix sound mix) going to tape only. I didn't have enough time to get a quickstream drive to cover the 2nd camera.

Thanks for the tips and hopefully the firewire drive handles everything.

-Kevin
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...