synching timeline cursors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

synching timeline cursors

How do I get the main timeline cursor to be linked / synched with the keyframe timelines of various tools and vice/versa, like pan/crop, track motion, etc.
Sometimes it's handy that they're not synched, sometimes it's better if they were. I seem to recall in Vegas 4 they were by default synched and I sometimes wished they weren't, now I need the opposite.
Thanks!
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Does your 'synch curser' icon at the bottom of the keframe time line not work?
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Oh for crying out loud... THERE IT IS!
I thought I'd looked everywhere for it, but obviously not there.
thanks <shamefully, lol>
Now back to editing...
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Note that the Sync Keyframe option is not available when using Generated Media. Works fine everywhere else, though.

Personally, I leave it OFF because I want it to always default to the first keyframe instead of creating a new one wherever the cursor happens to be. I only rarely turn it on.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for your comments, Ed. I agree that it's one of those butons that if I don't be mindful of its state, it'll drive me nuts.
There's sometimes though, when it's more intuitive for me to find the exact right spot from the main timeline, and when they're linked, i can quickly drop a keyframe there. Otherwise, I'd copy and paste the time code to get to the same no-doubt spot in the plug-in's window.
Other times, it's very helpful to have them unlinked so I can make adjustments on the plug-in's timeline, but see the changes somewhere else in the main timeline.
It's not as dangerous for me as, say, the ripple effect button (boy, now that's been the bane of me a few times), but a handy option to click on and off, though it always seems to be in the opposite state of what I need it to be in at any given moment, lol. I'm sure it's not, just seems that way, as it trips up the work flow out of the creative and into the what the heck's wrong mode, lol.
Thanks for knocking out the issue for me guys, y'all are awesome!
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...