Is this artifacting?? what is it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Is this artifacting?? what is it?

please watch the first 30 seconds of this video and tell me what is happening with the fingers when unscrewing the nuts. What are these lines? is this artifacting? sorry dont know how to spell that... How can i prevent this in the future?

This is a password protected video on Vimeo

password is: ardisam all lower case letters.... thanks
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2

looks like interlacing artifacts to me. the solution sorta depends on how it was captured and edited...progressive or interlaced? and what the steps were that produced the output. were any interlaced intermediate renders made?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Trustee

Looks like you need to deinterlace the footage for display on a progressive monitor. What was the video format used for the final render?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Major Player

All things considered, it's not too bad actually..

If you are editing in Vegas...

Do the following..

#1) Save your vegas project file as another name SAVE AS -> new name
#2) Go to Project Properties and change the format to progresive in the upper right.
#3) Change the fields to "Blend"

(I'm doing this from memory, not in front of Vegas right now - which is why not more specific instructions).

Then render your file again the same way you did before and see if that helps..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #5
Major Player

You've got the interlace blues...

Rerender the file as progressive and that will solve it.

As for the video itself, you could have reduced the length of it by editing out the 'zooms'.

So instead of waiting for the cam to zoom in, a simple cross-fade to close-up would have been much better! And then a simple cross-fade to wide. Makes the flow of the video much better!

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Speaking greek to me!

Thank you all... I am going to try to rerender it. This is my first video . Danny thanks for the tips on cross fade.

Richard...I rendered it in WMV format.at 1.5 bit rate. My goal here is to have a video hosted online that my colleauges can view in China, but eventually we want to be doing DVD quality video. So any suggestions you can give me are greatly appreciated.

Bill Now speaking of interlacing, I notice when i play the video right out of my camera onto a television i get the same type of interlacing. is this because the camera does not interlace it? IS there a setting on the camera? Should i be capturing in progressive, or interlaced? Thanks again...

dave

Last edited by David Ruhland; May 8th, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Major Player

interlacing problems

Im still having problems trying to deinterlace the video. I dont know where to fine the project properties, im looking under preferences, perhaps im in the wrong place... I am rendering as WMV at 1.5 bit rate. Please be easy on me im new to Vegas and rendering. :-)
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
I dont know where to find the project properties,
File - Properties

or ALT-Enter
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Major Player

If there is a lot of motion in the video, you will get better results if you set the de-interlace method to "Interpolate."
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
#2) Go to Project Properties and change the format to progresive in the upper right.
#3) Change the fields to "Blend"

(I'm doing this from memory, not in front of Vegas right now - which is why not more specific instructions).

Then render your file again the same way you did before and see if that helps..

Jon
I think your referring to the Field order in the properties window is that correct? So I want the None (progressive scan) option? Is this correct? Thanks again
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #11
Major Player

That is correect...
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Thank you

Finally got it rerendered this time with audio. Works great...Thanks...Reposted if you wanna take a look

Dave
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Spoke to soon!

Okay, so i was feeling a lil cocky with my newfound knowledge, and rendered a WMV file, an H.264 file, no problem. Looks great

NOW i have been trying to render in MPEG2 format to put on a DVD and guess what....

Got that darn interlace problem again. I have tried progressive, i have tried interpolate,, dont interpolate....ARRRGH.... or is this normal for a MPEG2?

Thanks
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #14
Trustee

Hi David. I suspect you are viewing the DVD on a computer? MPEG2 for DVD is interlaced, and will show these artifacts on a PC monitor. Try playing the DVD on a TV set, it should be fine.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #15
Major Player

Thank you richard.... You are correct... is there a condition know as codec craziness? I think i have it!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...