9 Studio Platinum to 9 Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #1
New Boot

9 Studio Platinum to 9 Pro

I have VS Platinum 9.0b on a new 64-bit Vista machine and have been having non-stop problems with crashing in the form of straight shut-offs, freezing, shut-off with various error messages. These occur during editing, playback, rendering, idling...any time it feels like it. I'm editing AVCHD files from a Sony SR11 and it's driving me insane.

I submitted a question to their tech support and got an auto-generated message saying that studio 9 is not supported for 64-bit OS's and so no help can be offered.

My questions are:
1) Is it likely that the incapability with 64-bit OS is the reason for all the crashes?
2) If I upgrade to 9Pro, would I lose all the work done in 9 studio on a current project and if so, is there a way to transfer a Studio project to Pro?

Thanks in advance!
Peter Laurelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

It is possible that running 32-bit app on a 64-bit OS could cause some issues. Typically they would run fine, though. So, I don't know if it's "likely" but I'm sure it's definitely "possible".

Vegas Pro 9 will load your .vf files just fine. However, once you save it as a .VEG file, the Movie Studio version will NOT be able to load it.

However, you'll also gain many other advantages to running the Pro version. There's lots of differences between the two. Here's a link:

Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 9 - Vegas Family Comparison

Some major ones for me:

Unlimited tracks
The ability to run scripts
Full control over MPEG2 render settings
Pan/Crop masking
etc...
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Laurelli View Post
IIf I upgrade to 9Pro, would I lose all the work done in 9 studio on a current project and if so, is there a way to transfer a Studio project to Pro?
Having done a quick check, Vegas Pro 8.0 can open a VMS 9.0 project. I see no reason why that wouldn't be true for Pro 9.0 as well.

Edit... there you go, Edward's conformed it's ok in Pro 9.0 as well.
Andy Edmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the quick responses. So it sounds like part 2 of my solution would be ok (the transfer of projects), but I'd hate to shell out $600 and continue to crash.

More details on the crashing may help:
There are a variety of clip types in the timeline, from .MOV to .JPG files. They are a compilation of my daughter's first year, for my wife for mother's day.

I had initially inserted AVCHD clips into the timeline which had been trimmed using Sony's supplied Picture Motion Browser software. I noticed these trimmed clips were acting weird (stuttering, etc) and thought maybe they were the source of the crashing so I replaced each trimmed clip with the original .mts file and removed the trimmed ones from the software all together. Vegas ran better for a bit, then the crashing returned with the same frequency as before.

Any other insight on 32-bit software on 64-bit system causing the issues?
Peter Laurelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...