New PC Many New Issues, Capturing, and Rebel T1I at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New PC Many New Issues, Capturing, and Rebel T1I

Ok so I made the switch to HD..I bought a Canon XH-A1..I jumped to a brand new Dell..to handle all my HD needs..

Issue #1 when capturing HD footage..the blue screen comes up and says Preview Unavailable..however..it does capture the footage..and the footage plays fine in Vegas to edit..

Issue #2 on playback in the time line of any footage I shot with the Canon Rebel TI I get slow choppy video..it does not run in real time..I know their has to be a way to work with this..

any help tips would be greatly appreciated..
Peter Ferriero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Welcome to the world of editing HD, few things you'll need to learn before you continue, you cannot edit the footage from the Canon in native form you need an intermediate codec like Cineform NeoScene or another process that works is to convert the MP4 video into another format like MPEG2 using Pro Coder, Adobe Encode or Sorenson Media. Because the video from the Rebel is so highly compressed it's not an ideal format to edit in.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Major Player

I use NeoScene and for the most part, like what it does. I've been using Cineform products for years now and don't normally have issues with it. It converts the HD files to an intermediary that I can edit in real time in Vegas. The only issue I have with NeoScene is that it doesn't upconvert to 1080p (shooting 720p on JVC HD100) but I believe NeoHD does this, so I might upgrade.

You can download a trial version of the Cineform software on their website and see if it works for you.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This is probably a real newbee kind of question to cineform..I downloaded the trial..clicked on to open it..and it goes to their web site..I have to be doing something wrong..

also has anyone had the issue with the preview unavailable when capturing in Vegas 8.1?
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Peter sorry can't help you with the blue screen preview issue, I also capture with the Canon XHA1 in Vegas Pro 8 (32bit) and it works right out of the box, maybe try re-installing? Cineform is a great codec to use, beware if you don't buy it, once the trail expires all your Cineform videos will become useless in the edit room. I'm saving for NeoHD so in the meantime I convert Rebel video to MPEG2 which Vegas handles okay-ish. Have a look in the capture settings of Vegas, maybe the video preview has been disabled?
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

intersting..perhaps because I have the 64bit I am having the issue?

I can't seem to get that program to work..

I've tried downloading several times..strange..
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Should work strange indeed, you can edit in 32bit aswell or capture in 32bit if you like. 64bit doesn't have any real advantage for Vegas in my opinion performance is about the same, in fact many plug-ins don't work for 64bit.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Peter,

You may also want to make sure your preview resolution is set reasonably low. I usually use Preview /auto, which gives you a soft, but decent image to view. Using full quality will really hamper your playback.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Peter,
My wife has a Kodak Z1485 still camera that outputs 720HD .mov files. They are impossible to work with. To resolve that problem I use proxy files that I can work with and then when I am ready to render, the files are switched back to the .mov files. I have a script that I run that makes this process very simple. You might want to give it a try. It is called ProxyStream.

Document sans nom

The author is Gilles Pialat (Rosebud on the Sony forums).

Hope this helps.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

i'll give that a try..in regards to the cineform HD program..it converts it but than when I bring the file in to Vegas..the video file doesnt come up..just the audio..do I need to anything else in Vegas for the video to appear?
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferriero View Post
i'll give that a try..in regards to the cineform HD program..it converts it but than when I bring the file in to Vegas..the video file doesnt come up..just the audio..do I need to anything else in Vegas for the video to appear?
That sounds like the codec for Cineform didn't load. Have you tried reinstalling NeoHD?
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #12
Major Player

I too have seen where when I capture using the 64-bit version of Vegas, I get the blue screen. I don't think it's much to worry about, you can always capture in the 32-bit version.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Regular Crew

in regards to the codec..I did try to reinstall..its almost like vegas needs the codec..
any suggestions?
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #14
Major Player

Peter post your question in the Cineform forum, David Newman is usually very quick to respond with helpful information. This might be another 64bit issue.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #15
Regular Crew

got the codec to work by using the 32bit Vegas..that seemed to clear a lot of issues..

the only problem with the codec is that it is speeding everything up..I will head over there to see what the issue is..
Peter Ferriero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...