White Balence - Am I Missing Anything? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Trustee

White Balence - Am I Missing Anything?

When I do a white balance correction in Vegas, I apply the Color Corrector to the clip on the time line that I want to correct. I then select the "Choose Complimentary Color" eyedropper for the High frequency colors. and click on an area in the clip that is the reference white. I then drag the circle that appears on the color wheel to the center of the wheel. Is that the correct white balance correction procedure or am I missing something?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Trustee

YouTube - Using Color Corrector in Sony Vegas Movie Studio

Paul.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Are you shooting in RAW?! If not, how do you want to do a white balance? The color corrector can only work on a certain color level but can not move everything into the right balance.

Axel
Axel Scheffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Is that the correct white balance correction procedure or am I missing something?
Well, not really. However, what you did was kinda intuitively in the "that's what would make sense" category!

What you did correctly was the reference white bit. And what you noticed was that the Hi-Wheel centre move away fro the centre. So what has happened, for example, if you were slightly too cool>bluish, then what VEgas did was make a 180 degree inverse of that to go towards the REDS and warmer whites. And THAT would have been the correction. DONE! What you then did was to force the correction BACK to the centre, thereby removing the correction.

But, fair do's on your approach! Like it!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Old Boot

Hmmm.....

I just watched the video quoted. I wouldn't do Mid-tones on the skin colour? I would do Mid-tones on a neutral grey. Correcting on a skin colour would, in my way of thinking skew away from the skin-tones itself. I don't understand why this was emphasised? But I am always willing to learn.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...