Was I expecting too much? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 28th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Was I expecting too much?

Running Vegas 8 on an HP XW6000, dual Xeon procs (2.66), under WinXP. I have 1.5 Gb of RAM, capturing HDV from a Canon HV30. Playback wasn't all that great but was workable. I doubled the RAM, so I now have 3Gb. I was expecting to see a performance improvement, but I don't see anything better. the current project is about 12 minutes long, and has Several layers, chromakey, some loops, lower 3rds. But playback is about the same, and sometimes seems worse than when I only have 1.5 Gb of RAM.

Am I missing a step? or was I just expecting too much. Media drive is 120 Gb, but it is getting full so that might have something to do with it, but I've only added one clip since the RAM upgrade.

Any settings I should look at and maybe change?
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Adding effects is CPU intensive but doesn't really increase RAM requirements. So by increasing the RAM, you've really not gained anything unless the RAM was swapping in and out of virtually memory to begin with. While the extra RAM won't hurt, it often won't gain you what you think it might when editing video.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Major Player

chromakey with HDV is a CPU killer, add to that multiple layers and you know you need to upgrade to Quadcore or better. You need to pre-render. It`s that way with every editing app.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks all, I guess the short answer is "yes." LOL
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes Bill, your Xeons are just a little long in the tooth for HD with the added effects. Ram has very little effect on Vegas.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...