Vegas on a Macbook... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas on a Macbook...

It works fine (via Parallels and WinXP) but I can't seem to get it to preview in full screen. It will toggle to full screen mode but it's all gibberish. Using Vegas Pro 9 incidentally - 32bit.

My macbook is a late 2008 (2.4ghz white) with the on board intel GMA X3100 chipset.

Can anyone with a similar setup tell me if they have success with full screen previews?
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
It works fine (via Parallels and WinXP) but I can't seem to get it to preview in full screen. It will toggle to full screen mode but it's all gibberish. Using Vegas Pro 9 incidentally - 32bit.

My macbook is a late 2008 (2.4ghz white) with the on board intel GMA X3100 chipset.

Can anyone with a similar setup tell me if they have success with full screen previews?
I bought parallels with my macbook pro but then tried VMWare Fusion and it blew away parallels so that's why I only use VMWare fusion now. I can edit in Vegas using VMWare and it's pretty decent speedwise but for max performance you should boot into bootcamp. Vegas screams on my macbook pro in bootcamp - strangely it renders h.264 even quicker than my core 2 quad desktop system. Sorry I can't help with your video issue in parallels. It sounds like the virtual video driver in parallels may have a glitch. Maybe try the VMWare demo - if it works well for you they have a pretty good competitive upgrade deal.

Last edited by Keith Paisley; June 1st, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
Vegas screams on my macbook pro in bootcamp
I may have to give bootcamp a whirl - never used it. Parallels came free with my macbook and it's pretty much flawless so far.

I'm also coming from a Quad PC and to be honest, I can't really tell the difference on my little 2.4ghz core duo on the macbook.

You're probably right... that virtual graphics driver Parallels uses is most likely the culprit. I put in a support ticket and the tech said their software doesn't support this "game". :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
I may have to give bootcamp a whirl - never used it. Parallels came free with my macbook and it's pretty much flawless so far.

I'm also coming from a Quad PC and to be honest, I can't really tell the difference on my little 2.4ghz core duo on the macbook.

You're probably right... that virtual graphics driver Parallels uses is most likely the culprit. I put in a support ticket and the tech said their software doesn't support this "game". :)
The older macbooks are better suited to vegas than FCS because Final Cut relies on the gpu for a lot of things like motion and keying. Vegas is all cpu. In a way, the macbook is the ideal portable Vegas solution because you can run generic XP with no bloatware or driver issues and then use the Leopard side for surfing without fear of virus. Mac makes great laptops.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I also run Vegas under VMWare on a MacBook. For the limited stuff I use it for on the road it works fine. I haven't been able to get it to capture via Firewire, but have captured on the Mac side and accessed the file from Vegas under the XP guest machine.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
I also run Vegas under VMWare on a MacBook.
Can you tell me if the full screen preview option works under VMWare? (Or even bootcamp for that mattter).

I haven't tried the firewire input yet.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...