DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   What's the Verdict on Vegas 9 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/237477-whats-verdict-vegas-9-a.html)

Danny Fye June 27th, 2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kepen (Post 1159489)
Currently using Vegas 8 Pro. Is it worth upgrading to V9 at this time?

NO!!!

Vegas 9 just sits on my computer. I am using Vegas 8. So far Vegas 9 was a 100% waste of money!!!

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions

John Wiley June 27th, 2009 02:53 AM

Hmmm. Pity I can't find a copy of Vegas 8 still on sale anywhere. Just heard yesterday from a friend that colleague of his is looking to sell an older version of Vegas so I will have to contact him and see if it is version 8.

Bob Thieda June 27th, 2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Fye (Post 1164122)
Vegas 9 just sits on my computer. I am using Vegas 8. So far Vegas 9 was a 100% waste of money!!!

Danny Fye

Same here...using 8.0c and waiting for an update to 9.0....

Jeff Harper June 27th, 2009 07:05 AM

I would love to sell mine, but I don't use Vegas 9 at all either; like Bob I'm waiting for 9.0a.

Edward Troxel June 27th, 2009 07:46 AM

In my case, I've been using 9 for months! It does what it's supposed to do. Plus the 64-but version is MUCH better than 8.1.

Gene Gajewski June 27th, 2009 08:14 AM

Loaded Win 7 yesterday. Noticeable performance improvement so far.

Project loading snappier. Moving thru transitions which normally bog smoother.

Not bad so far.

Ben Longden June 27th, 2009 08:16 AM

I was apprehensive about updating from Vegas 8.0 Pro to 9.0 after all the negativity Ive read here.. but i jumped in and to be honest its fine.

All but one of the presets for the rendering migrated over. Thats been the only problem, and it took a couple of minutes, literally, to fix.

Ben

Eugene Kosarovich June 28th, 2009 12:18 AM

I've hit a few bugs in 9.0 that I've reported and that will be fixed in 9.0a, but overall, I use 9.0 all the time now and it's working well for me with XDCAM SD and HD.

The only thing that really disrupts my workflow is not having Satish's frameserver working with it yet, I hope he fixes that soon.

And there is one bug I can't really report cause I can't explain how to trigger it... There seems to be some sort of memory or resource leak or something... Basically, sometimes after editing for a while, my playback rate will slow to half what it should be based on what I know my computer can do. When this happens, I have to save what I'm doing, shut down Vegas, reboot the computer and relaunch it and reload my project. At that point, everything that should be playing back at full framerate will. This same problem actually causes it to not be able to temp render to AVI on disk, it'll lockup when trying. And the RAM temp render was playing much slower than normal, too.

I'm gonna try that new aviplug.dll mentioned earlier in this thread and see if that helps.

Danny Fye June 28th, 2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1164182)
In my case, I've been using 9 for months! It does what it's supposed to do. Plus the 64-but version is MUCH better than 8.1.

Being that I am still on a 32 bit system I cannot realize the advantages of 64 bit just yet.

Once Windows 7 is officially released and I build me a new system with the latest and greatest goodies then maybe Vegas 9 64 bit version will shine through for me?

For the time being it will have to be Vegas 8 and my current 32 bit system.

----------------------
I can forget about that so-called special price on the Windows 7 upgrade because and from what I read that won't happen from Windows XP Pro OEM! If I had the non OEM version it would still be a problem because I would have to go to Vista first and tests have shown that Micro$oft is full of it when it comes to their claim that it works. At least on older systems. Even so, why the 2 step non-sense when it should be a 1 step? Sorry about the off-topic but it relates to what I can do in the future with Vegas.
----------------------

I noticed that my favorite settings for my layouts are not in Vegas 9. How do I get them there?

Such things should be more automatic with the upgrades!

Danny Fye

David Wayne Groves June 28th, 2009 11:59 AM

Just purchased Vegas 9 with the free New blue pak, completed my newest project without issue, sold my Vegas 8 to a co-worker, only complaint thus far is the runup time in the preview window during multicamera editing, should be fixed in the next update, Vegas 9 is a keeper for me....

Bob Thieda June 28th, 2009 02:05 PM

Tried it again...
Because Ed said it should work and because I installed the new .dll to solve the playback issue.

9.0 64bit will not work with my neoscene transcoded clips. I only get audio, no video on the timeline.

9.0 32bit does appear to work with the neoscene clips, but it constantly crashes before I can do anything with them.

So...back to 8.0c until 9.0a comes out.

Perrone Ford June 28th, 2009 05:14 PM

I gave up on Cineform ages ago. Too many issues and too many limitations. Now I cut proxies or I used DNxHD if I need full HD.

Yang Wen June 30th, 2009 11:18 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon about Vegas 9.. I was all clamoring in another thread the ability of rendering to Sony AVC without crashing... well my Vegas 9 just froze up while rendering..(I had to do a hard reset on my PC) same as v8c, and on the same project which I had previous rendered without any issues.. man I hate this thing! I have no confidence whatsoever in them.. Don't tell me they'll fix it in version a.. if version "C" of 8 had the same issue what makes us think version "a" of 9 will contain the fix?

Jeff Harper June 30th, 2009 11:29 PM

Yang, what is Sony AVC and what is it used for? Never mind, I googled it. Its basically a format for blu ray discs, is that correct?

Eugene Kosarovich June 30th, 2009 11:29 PM

Ah well, I tried the new dll to see if it would help me with another problem I've been having, Vegas Pro 9 crashing when rendering to AVI when it changes from normal render to no recompression parts. Unfortunately, the new dll didn't help me. SCS did say they have some issues with AVI no recompress rendering that they are working on from a recent bug report I put in.

So now I'm rendering out a long project in Vegas Pro 9 in pieces and putting it together in Vegas Pro 8.