What's the Verdict on Vegas 9 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Major Player

What's the Verdict on Vegas 9 ?

Currently using Vegas 8 Pro. Is it worth upgrading to V9 at this time? What does it do that V-8 doesn't ? (yes I know it has the 2nd monitor, but I can live without that).
I am thinking of waiting for V10, unless some one can tell me that there is a great performace boost or feature set in V9 that I am unaware of. I tried doing a search, but got almost every thread with V9 in it, so Thanks in advance for your helpful opinions - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas 8 has the "second monitor" as you put it. It's the TRIMMER. It's just docked differently in 9 by default than it is in 8. In fact, 8.0c added many of the new trimmer features now found in 9.

You could look over my April 09 newsletter which lists the major new features. Then you can make a better informed decision as to whether or not to upgrade.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Has anyone figured a solution for the decreased preview window frame rate in V9? I've disabled the automatic quality setting in V9 and that has made a little bit difference but my playback frame rate is still only 50% of the playback performance of version 8, for the exact same project. By anyone's definition, that is unusable..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Bill! I'll try that out tonight!
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Edward, I'll check that out this evening.

On a different note; I am having problems with DVDA. My AC3 audio sounds fine when played in VLC media player. It was encoded with V8, as was the Mpeg-2 Video using the BluRay Mpeg-2 encoding preset. The problem is, that in DVDA, almost all of the sound is in the right audio channel. If you look in the timeline you can even see the volume bars in the left channel are diminutive by comparison. What is causing this? How do you correct it? I can't seem to find anyway to adjust channel volume in DVDA. I should add, that the .ac3 audio is in 5.1 surround format. Thanks for any info - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Nice find!
Thanks
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Bill! that fixed my playback issue. I also found this page which seems to address the same issue but with a different resolution. Weird... http://www.custcenter.com/cgi-bin/so...ted=1242423710

Now rendering to Sony AVC and see if it crashes like it always does in Vegas 8c...
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

A big issue for me is the lack of Frameserver compatibility in Vegas9. I relied heavily on that in Vegas 8 and am very disappointed that I can no longer use it. Why this functionality isn't built in to Vegas to begin with is beyond me... Anyway, I'm still hoping for a solution to come along.
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipjaz Savoie View Post
A big issue for me is the lack of Frameserver compatibility in Vegas9.
Be patient for a bit longer.
It was reported on the Sony Vegas Pro forum (May 30 of this year to be precise) that Satish is currently working on the Vegas 9 Frameserver.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Be patient for a bit longer.
It was reported on the Sony Vegas Pro forum (May 30 of this year to be precise) that Satish is currently working on the Vegas 9 Frameserver.
I'd somehow missed that, I hope it's true! There's no mention on the DebugMode home page that I could see. Really it can't come soon enough as it's making my work-flow significantly less streamlined without Frameserving. If I were Sony I'd buy the code from Satish and implement this from within Vegas. Does Sony have a suggestion box? ; )
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Trustee

I've downloaded and have been using the trial of Vegas Pro 9 for about a week now. I've been doing a bit of playing getting to know it (previously using FCP on another machine) to see if I like it. However I'm having problems with it crashing fairly regularly, often when I hit Ctrl+Z to undo. Has anyone had any problems with this in the full version? My laptop is well within the recommended specs so I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks in advance
John
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #13
Inner Circle

For me, Vegas 9 is terrible, bad, crappy.

I've found it's timeline performance is the worst I've seen. I just installed Windows 7. Initially Vegas 9 64 bit Vegas 9 ran a bit better than it did on Vista, but 32 bit is bad.

Others say it works fine for them. I run a i7 processor, lots of ram, and the only program I have that gives me issues is Vegas 9.

Adobe Master Collection runs perfectly, and that says a lot about the state of my PC, as that collection of programs can be pretty buggy.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #14
Inner Circle

There are a number of compelling features that make it a "must buy" for me. Several things I opined about on the Sony Pro forums got included including DPX and OpenEXR, REDCode compatibility, and XDCAMEX native compatibility.

I'll live with the growing pains for a while.

It's still missing some critical items (especially for broadcast work) but is really shaking off it's also-ran status to play near the front of the pack. I just wish Sony and Avid could bury the hatchet on the MXF format and read each others formats. That would make me VERY happy and keep me from jumping through dumb hoops every time I wanted to share something with the local TV stations.
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
For me, Vegas 9 is terrible, bad, crappy.

I've found it's timeline performance is the worst I've seen. I just installed Windows 7. Initially Vegas 9 64 bit Vegas 9 ran a bit better than it did on Vista, but 32 bit is bad.

Others say it works fine for them. I run a i7 processor, lots of ram, and the only program I have that gives me issues is Vegas 9.

Adobe Master Collection runs perfectly, and that says a lot about the state of my PC, as that collection of programs can be pretty buggy.

Timeline performance? What's that?

Certainly, it can't be the UI of the timeline.

Adobe apps are famous for being obtuse. But oh, when you finally get used to them you get to enter the priesthood - and you must cling to your obtuse app like a unix programmer to emacs, lest someone pull aside the curtain and find out it's just another NLE, abeit with a crotchedy UI.

Adobe bombs out all the time. Vista's got it's problems, but it don't take no Data Execution Protection lip from anybody, and Adobe's no exception.

I'm getting ready to try Win 7 myself.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...