Movie Studio 9 Platinum - AVCHD - single cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Movie Studio 9 Platinum - AVCHD - single cam

This is a newbie question. I've been reading up on AVCHD, NLE's, and processors for hours on end. I might have missed a few threads, but believe me I've used the "search" function.

Does Movie Studio 9 Platinum have the same multi-threading engine as Vegas 9, just with locks on certain features? (I am wondering in regards to native AVCHD editing and rendering speed)

I realize that most of the experienced hands here are recommending NeoCine, w/o quesiton, for editing. But I am going to be doing single camera work - basically top and tailing long-form documentary shoots. Is MS9P (REV B) ready to edit native AVCHD, on a qualified machine?

Thanks, all.
Fitz Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Given that Movie Studio 9 has been out a while, it is more likely that its engine is derived from/shared with Vegas Pro 8, not 9.

I shoot in HDV, so I can't speak for myself about AVCHD.
I strongly suspect you better have an Intel i7 920 based system at minimum.
If I was upgrading my camera to FullHD AVCHD, I would upgrade my computer as well.
See my profile for what I currently have.

The following comes from the Vegas Movie Studio Help:

Working with AVCHD Video

You can edit files recorded with Sony AVCHD camcorders just like any other supported media type on the timeline.

This help topic will guide you through the process of using Sony AVCHD video in your project.

This feature is available only in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoot your video with a Sony AVCHD camcorder.

Start a new project, and use the New Project Wizard to set your project properties to the format that most closely matches your desired output format.

For example, if you intend to burn the video to an NTSC DVD, use the New Project Wizard to set your video standard to Americas and Japan (60 Hz/NTSC) and the delivery format to DVD Disc. If you want to create a 4.8 Mbps high-definition Windows Media Video file, set your video standard to Americas and Japan (60 Hz/NTSC) and the delivery format to HDV Camera (720p).

If you need to adjust your project properties after starting your project, you can use the Project Properties dialog.

Import your AVCHD files.

Drag your clips from the Project Media window to the timeline to create events.

If you're working on a system with limited processing power, converting to a lower-resolution format will streamline the editing process and allow you to preview your project with higher frame rates. This process is called proxy editing. For more information about proxy editing, please see Creating Proxy Files for High-Definition Editing.

Edit your project as needed.

Render your project to any supported rendering format.

If you want to render to AVCHD format and export the rendered file to an AVCHD camera, please use the following steps:

a. Verify that your project is set to 5.1 surround mode.

b. In the Render As dialog, choose Sony AVC from the Save as type drop-down list.

c. Use one of the following templates:

AVCHD 1440x1080 NTSC 5.1 Surround

AVCHD 1920x1080 NTSC 5.1 Surround

AVCHD 1440x1080 PAL 5.1 Surround

AVCHD 1920x1080 PAL 5.1 Surround

d. To save the rendered file to your camera, you'll need to use the Sony Picture Motion Browser software that was supplied with your camera.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Bill. That's a good point on Movie 9 vs Vegas 8. A few NLE manuf. have claimed AVCHD handling. I'm curious to hear people who have actually edited and rendered things successfully - and their computer stats to back it up.
Fitz Townsend is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...