Vegas 9 and Windows 7 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 30th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #16
Inner Circle

There is another thing one should consider before purchase:

If you are upgrading your PC or mobo after you purchase Windows 7 you will have to buy a new copy/serial # because your original version of Windows 7 will not activate on a different PC.

This happened to me after upgrading my PC. There is a workaround that I found but it is incovenient.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
There is another thing one should consider before purchase:

If you are upgrading your PC or mobo after you purchase Windows 7 you will have to buy a new copy/serial # because your original version of Windows 7 will not activate on a different PC.

This happened to me after upgrading my PC. There is a workaround that I found but it is incovenient.
Jeff, do you have a link to this? Generally this happens only with OEM versions of Windows, the ones that come pre-installed, not off the shelf consumer versions.

I have an OEM version of Vista that is tied to the motherboard and is a hassle to move to an upgraded PC, but a consumer packaged Vista disk can be moved to a new machine easily.
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I don't have a link, my statement is based on my experience.

For example, I reinstall Windows on a regular basis, at least every 60 to 90 days just to clean up my hard drive.

Normally this is no problem, with the same PC.

But when I've switched to a raid or non-raid configuration I cannot acitivate without calling microsoft, because they keep records of this that are accessed when you activate.

On the other hand, if you change motherboards they will not allow you to activate and they tell you to buy a new key. As far as they are concerned if you have a new MOBO then you have a new PC., and they will not activate Windows on two pcs.

There is the workaround I've been using that allows extending time till activation, but I keep getting reminders to activate. That's why I'm loving Windows 7 RC, I'm not getting reminders any more!
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
I don't have a link, my statement is based on my experience.

For example, I reinstall Windows on a regular basis, at least every 60 to 90 days just to clean up my hard drive.

Normally this is no problem, with the same PC.

But when I've switched to a raid or non-raid configuration I cannot acitivate without calling microsoft, because they keep records of this that are accessed when you activate.

On the other hand, if you change motherboards they will not allow you to activate and they tell you to buy a new key. As far as they are concerned if you have a new MOBO then you have a new PC., and they will not activate Windows on two pcs.

There is the workaround I've been using that allows extending time till activation, but I keep getting reminders to activate. That's why I'm loving Windows 7 RC, I'm not getting reminders any more!
But that was with an OEM install, correct? It came on the PC? Not a consumer disk you bought at the store...

BTW...I never reinstall a system unless tragedy strikes, (or the kids use it). If you keep it clean and tidy they work forever. My XP machine is on the original install from two years ago and I have a 4 year old laptop that has never been formated.
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Retail version. OEM versions don't need activation, they either work or they don't.
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Retail version. OEM versions don't need activation, they either work or they don't.
Interesting...I'll have to look into that. Hopefully, it is once again, a Vista only issue.

I do activate OEM versions, but only because I build my own machines and buy OEM versions...
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #22
Inner Circle

You're talking OEM versions that you purchase separately, I had thought you meant oem that came with machine, which don't need activated, I misunderstood.

I've had/used/all three types. I vaguely remember same issue with XP OEM disc I bought, but Microsoft was more lenient with XP as I recall. I highly doubt they will backpeddle on this with Windows 7, but who knows.
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Upgrade versions of Vista Do not require a previous version of a OS in order to do a clean install, the workaround has been available since day one, my Vista Ultimate upgrade version has been reinstalled several times on my new Hds and system builds....
As for Windows 7, no info for current ultimate owners, I will probably be skipping 7 for now, most of the new features in 7 will be available as free downloads for Vista owners, such as DX11...Sony Vegas 8 and now 9 has been trouble free for me in Vista 64Bit...
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Vista 64 bit was trouble free for me as well. But I find Windows 7 runs circles around Vista. Windows 7 IS the feature, not IE 8, etc. The rest is fluff, IMO.

The underlying code is much superior, and it shows.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...