How to determine size of video project? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Major Player

How to determine size of video project?

I just finished editing, rendering, and burning a home video of our vacation from a few years ago. HDV video, rendered out as "DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream". From the Vegas timeline I could see that the length of the video is 32 minutes. What I couldn't figure out until AFTER the video was rendered, was how large of a file it was gonna be. In this case, it was only 1.4 GB, easily fit on a 4.7 blank DVD. I want to know before rendering, so that if I need to, I can split up the video to make them smaller than 4.7 GB.

I understand that the size after rendering also depends on what format I want to render it to, because I tried rendering out to HDV, and the same 32 minutes of video became 11.x GB.

Thanks,
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Sounds like even though you started with HDV, you rendered out to SD MPEG2. The "size" of the file is totally dependent on the bitrate you choose. There are many bitrate calculators out there. Us a bitrate calculator, enter the length of your video, and it will tell you the proper bitrate to use for that video length. Generally speaking, you won't have a size issue until you get to around 80 minutes plus - then you may need to lower the bitrate from the preset default.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's a link to a bitrate calculator

http://www.johncline.com/bitcalc110.zip
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Major Player

here is a good post to read also
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...-dvd-arch.html
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #5
Trustee

working with m2ts files

Hi guys, working for a while with the m2ts captured with my z1 i'having new questions for you.
Once i capture hdv videos i open a PAL project(i live in SPain-EU) with theese setting :
HDV 108050i 1440x1080
Field order:upper field first
Deint Method:Interpolate fields.
I edit my project on the timeline the i have 2 render in 2 major template:
1st-HDV 108050i mpg2 template to see the hdv stuff on my WD tv HD
2nd-PALWIDESCREEN mpg2 to have it on a simple sd dvd that could be read on evry dvd player.

When i use the 2nd option should i change anything on the properties at the beginning of the project
Once i open project properties when is suggested to press the folder at the right of the "save-delete"icon?

Last question:when is useful to set deinterlace model on NONE?
muchas gracias
MM
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hutson View Post
Thanks for the link!
In the 3rd post on page 1 of that thread, Paul Kellett wrote:

"Put the bit rate right down first then just RENDER A LOOP SECTION, just a couple of minutes, that way you'll know in a few minutes rather than having to wait hours to see if it's crap."

How do I render just a loop section like he suggested?
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Combs View Post
How do I render just a loop section like he suggested?
Create a selection area on the timeline. On the Render - As screen, make sure the option to render only to the selection area is checked.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...