Batch Render using different templates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Batch Render using different templates?

Hi guys,

Is there a way to batch render 4 different segments using 4 different templates utilizing the batch render script? I have 4 segments that all vary in duration. I need to render them out with different bitrates to maximize quality for DVD. Thank you.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

The built-in batch render script really is NOT designed for different preset for different regions. It will do the SAME preset for all regions very easily, though.

One thing you might try... Open Vegas 4 times and then manually render each regions - one region per instance of Vegas. Then it will do them all at the same time.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ed. I hope Sony adds a "feature" to allow this.
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Wet blanket here...

There are encoding products that allow you to create multiple batches with different encoding specs, such as Sorenson Squeeze, Grass Valley Procoder, Apple Compressor, etc., then give you tools for management of multiple encodes that occur sequentially.

However, all of them (short of frameserving?) require files (not timeline regions) to transcode. I think you're asking to layer that sort of workflow transcoding functionality ("Job" management tools) on an NLE.

Frankly, I'd love it. I do that kind of stuff. Doubt any NLE manufacturers see it that way, although FCP and Compressor kind of link up in a frameserving way. I don't *think* it can work by region with FCP/Comp...
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

This sounds like the kind of job that MultiRender (a part of Veggie Toolkit) is supposed to be good at.
A demo version is available.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, as Mike said, your best bet today is to look at the Veggie Toolkit. It has the best chance of doing exactly what you're wanting. But I don't know if it will handle multiple regions differently. You could ask Randall Campbell (the author of Veggie Toolkit).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys. I think if there is enough demand for such a feature, Sony shouldn't have too much technical trouble adding this functionality. That's just the power of Vegas, 1 tool to do it all. I've worked with Adobe Premiere and After Effects solely for 10 years. After 6 months with Vegas, it is my tool of choice and I know Premiere inside and out; Vegas, just the tip of the iceberg at this point. The ease and stability of Vegas was enough to get me interested, the workflow in a single application for 80% of my projects kept me.

Kevin
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch View Post
Thanks guys. I think if there is enough demand for such a feature, Sony shouldn't have too much technical trouble adding this functionality.
You'd think so but, in my experience, Sony doesn't work that way.
I've seen folks make several requests for features that would greatly improve the workflow and Sony is very slow at implementing any of them :-(
You can drop them a line on the Product Suggestion page but don't hold your breath waiting.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...