Frameserver 2.6 released with VP9 support - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #16
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Also, what is the benefit - is it that Vegas Mpeg2/Mpeg4 encoding is not as good?
The encoding in Vegas is better than in Architect, not worse. Vegas lets you do 2-pass encoding, Architect does not. Not to mention all the tweaks available in Vegas encoding versus Architect encoding.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM   #17
Regular Crew

What I do is take my vegas timeline (currently using P2 HD footage 23.97fps 1920x1080 and raylight ultra1.1)and then use frameserver to render to my hard drive, which appears instantly. I minimize vegas 9, launch Sony dvd architect, set it using avc 23.97fps 1920x1080 at 28Megabits per second, attach the frameserver AVI and burn to blu ray. Great image... but again, it takes 40min for every min on the time line. But no hard drive space for the render. Any faster or better way of going? Thanks, Bill
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM   #18

AVC is hard to encode, so it may not be that much quicker doing it directly in Vegas. But I would expect it to be at least a little quicker, all else being equal.

But I think it's worth a shot to try rendering to that same Blu-ray AVC template in Vegas and see how long that takes.

And honestly, at that high a data rate, I wouldn't think there would be much difference going with MPEG-2 instead, which would encode a lot quicker.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:47 PM   #19
Old Boot

I use Particle Illusion. Clients love the effects I can get. BUT, there ain't no plugin for Vegas. Soooo..... I do a FS into Pi and use the AVI as the background "Plate" to do my Pi effects > Save with Alfie Channel > Bring into Vegas and Robert's yer mother's Bruvver!

So, for FrameServing to another s/w option - FrameServer is a "Mean Machine"!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi has anyone tried this with 9a as i am getting a crash.

vegas 9a 32bit
vista 64
intel quad core
8 gb ddr
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Estcourt View Post
Hi has anyone tried this with 9a as i am getting a crash.

vegas 9a 32bit
vista 64
intel quad core
8 gb ddr
I just tried with a short (24 sec) clip and it served to PI and opened as background no problem. Tried with a much longer 40min veg and just got a black screen in PI. Have to dash out now but will have another check tomorrow.

Win XP
Intel Core 2

Last edited by Dugi Barr; July 24th, 2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added Comp Specs
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Eugene, I tied your suggestion of rendering to Mpeg first(best HD quality) and then burn to blu ray... the frameserver works faster. But it's still too long. A 100min project would take over 66 hrs !!!! Any suggestions? Thanks. Bill
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #23

Interesting results, Bill. If it was in a 2-pass mode, that would explain it, since Architect doesn't do 2-pass. Beyond that, could be some different settings I guess.

Anyway, I agree that's too long. So I would say try encoding as MPEG-2 instead of AVC.

In my own tests, my AVC encoding was a 12:1 time ratio and my MPEG-2 encoding was an 8.5:1 time ratio. (My system's pretty slow, I'll be building a new computer sometime soon.)

Once you get to 25Mb/s or higher, I've never seen anyone see a difference between AVC and MPEG-2 for HD footage.
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Eugene, the encoding time ratio is in the same ball park as yours, but add the burn time to blu ray and then your computer is done for long while.
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Frameserver and Vegas crashes

Several times now frameserver caused vegas 9 to crash and close down. Any ideas why? Thanks
William LiPera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...