Better than frame-accurate sound editing in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Wrangler

Better than frame-accurate sound editing in Vegas?

Hope this doesn't seem like too stupid a question, and I already have a hunch about what the answer is, but maybe there are gurus that know some secret...

Is there any way to do better than frame-accurate cutting and positioning of sound clips right in Sony Vegas? Preferably, sample-accurate editing? (Without opening the audio event in a separate editor, obviously.) It seems unnecessarily limiting to only be able to trim audio clips to within 1/30th of a second (or whatever the project frame rate is).

Or maybe I've just been missing something? Thanks!...

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes. use keyboard shortcut "ALT F8" or check under >Options > Quantize to frames.
Be aware that if your audio is locked to video, theres a good chance that your "cut" will not be on a "frame".
If you just want to move the audio which is locked to the video then use "ignore event grouping" function.

HTH
Björn Rehder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Robert. As Bjorn says, you can edit better than frame accuracy if you switch off Quantize To Frames. However, after you are finished adjusting the audio clips, I recommend you switch on Quantize To Frames again before you start moving video clips around. There have been many posts in the past about spurious black frames appearing in rendered video, and these could be related to editing with Quantize turned off.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

And this is even easier in Vegas Pro 9, with the new feature where you can have the quantizing to frames apply to the video and not the audio.

This is very useful to me. I typically have videos with a number of different sound sources that I need to bring into sync temporally, since they were each at different effective distances from the sound source, and therefore offset in time. Say a shotgun mic near my camera and a sound board feed, for instance. To do this, I just ignore grouping temporarily and slide the audio around matching waveform peaks at sample level.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks very much, Björn, Richard, and Eugene.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...