Capturing HD Video using XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing HD Video using XHA1

Hi all,

So I'm doing my first HD edit through Vegas. I have ran into some issues:

-Vegas can not find my XHA1 when I open the capture screen and pick HD. I have replaced used different chords, different computers, but I just can't get it to find it. Any suggestions?

-I have CS2, which has premiere and that can find the camera. I uploaded the footage but I can't tell if it's HD. It's one big file and in .AVI form. I had heard that HD is uploaded in M2T form so not sure if I did it correctly. Any suggestions?

-Last, when I upload in premiere there is no scene detection so it's one big clip. Does anyone know of a program that can find the scene breaks and make the one clip into separate scene files.

Sorry if these are really dumb questions and thanks in advance for any help!
Ben Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If Premiere is capturing as an avi, that would seem to indicate that it is seeing your camera as a standard def device. If your camera is set to downconvert and output SD instead of HD, that would also explain why Vegas HD cap doesn't see it.

This is a strong possibility - you can confirm by checking if Vegas SD capture sees your camera, or just go into your camera menues to confirm whether it's downconverting.

If all this is so, then the solution would be to set the camera to output HD over firewire.
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Mahoney View Post
Hi all,

So I'm doing my first HD edit through Vegas. I have ran into some issues:

-Vegas can not find my XHA1 when I open the capture screen and pick HD. I have replaced used different chords, different computers, but I just can't get it to find it. Any suggestions?

-I have CS2, which has premiere and that can find the camera. I uploaded the footage but I can't tell if it's HD. It's one big file and in .AVI form. I had heard that HD is uploaded in M2T form so not sure if I did it correctly. Any suggestions?

-Last, when I upload in premiere there is no scene detection so it's one big clip. Does anyone know of a program that can find the scene breaks and make the one clip into separate scene files.

Sorry if these are really dumb questions and thanks in advance for any help!
Is the camera new or is this your first time using it? I ask because I think you have to change the resolution [SD/HD] on the camera when you first get it because I think it comes from the factory in SD. It's been about 1 year since I purchased my XH A1 and I think I had to change the camera to HD.
I've been capturing HD footage with Sony Vegas Pro without a hitch.

I'm thinking Seth is spot on with your issue.
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...