Help w/8.0c: render to SD fine, but crash/hang when to Blu-ray - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Steven -
I'm pretty sure you've got a similar problem to what I've observed wen I try to do a BluRay render - although my crashes always are repeatable. I know one crash would happen on a single still/.jpeg - had to remove it and re-insert, and then it was fine... strange. Another was something with the settings on text credit rolls - always crashed when it hit one particular section of the credits overlayed on the video - had to go change all the properties on that one, and again removed and reinserted the "effect" until it would go.
Because I, too, suspected the same at first, Dave, much of my troubleshooting focused on removing effects, fiddling with effects (e.g., the optical dissolve I mentioned above), rendering only around the "trouble spots," and rendering other portions of the project. Absolutely none of these probes indicated that I had trouble media on my timeline. The renders still would unexpectedly occur, leading me to believe that something more systematic is at play, ergo my suspicion of memory issues, per Perrone's suggestions.

The Sony thread that I linked above touched a great many and sensitive nerves about 8.0's memory allocation/usage, much to everyone's delight. I hope to report similar elation!

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #17
Major Player

Hallelujah!!

Can I hear an amen? I got the problem licked: per the Sony thread I linked in a previous post, I used CFF explorer to enable Vegas 8.0(c) and certain dll's to access more than 2GB of RAM. I rebooted, fired up Vegas, loaded my 'problem' project, and hit render. Unfortunately, I had to leave immediately for a long errand, so I couldn't baby-sit the render.

I just now came back from my errand fully expecting to find a crash, no Vegas open at all, or some error message with a hung render. Instead, Vegas is smoothly rendering the end credits of my movie! After previously crashing this 20-30 times no more than 10% rendered, I'm just tickled that checking a few check boxes for expanded memory access solved my problem.

I wonder if 9.0(a) has similar issues or if Sony 'fixed' this problem. For now, I'm sticking with 8.0/8.1 since they're (finally) working for me.

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I saw your post over at the other site. Glad you got it sorted. The smoking gun for me was when you posted your "available memory" in this thread. I suspected memory from the get-go, but that confirmed it.

As far as Sony "fixing" this, the fix is simple. Go to an OS/Program that can address a sufficient amount of RAM. I doubt strongly that they'd ever do a 32bit hack and support it. Especially when they offer a 64bit solution.
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:32 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I saw your post over at the other site. Glad you got it sorted. The smoking gun for me was when you posted your "available memory" in this thread. I suspected memory from the get-go, but that confirmed it.

As far as Sony "fixing" this, the fix is simple. Go to an OS/Program that can address a sufficient amount of RAM. I doubt strongly that they'd ever do a 32bit hack and support it. Especially when they offer a 64bit solution.
Good points and well-taken. And my thanks to you for pointing me in the direction of a memory issue.

Cheers,
Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...