DVDA - duplicate menu? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVDA - duplicate menu?

I thought I finished a job for a client which required what is a set of submenu's which took me quite a while to construct (I'm a newbie, and not fast, but time is time). He has come back with a very minor change, adding a website address, took 15 seconds to add in Vegas. My issue is the time it will take me to rebuild the menus for that minor change, which does not affect timing in any way, it is merely an add to a rolling credit section.

Is there a way for me to copy the menu structure to the new rendered Vegas project without having to rebuild all the menus from scratch? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Spearman View Post
He has come back with a very minor change, adding a website address, took 15 seconds to add in Vegas.
So, in effect you are creating a substitute piece of Media? Yes?

Quote:
My issue is the time it will take me to rebuild the menus for that minor change, which does not affect timing in any way, it is merely an add to a rolling credit section.
And now you wish to import this substitute piece of Media? Yes?

Quote:
Is there a way for me to copy the menu structure to the new rendered Vegas project without having to rebuild all the menus from scratch? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
And this I really don't understand? I don't ADD a menu structure to a newly rendered Vegas project. - I ADD or SWAP-OUT media TO an existing DVDA menu structure.

Now if THIS is the case, and what I would be doing is to import the new rendered file and ensure it was appearing at the places I wanted, and THEN allow DVDA to render the new version. I often swap-out Vegas rendered files, within DVDA, check that it is appearing correctly in DVDA and get DVDA to render any new areas of activity it needs to do. The "structure" remains intact.

HTHs?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

While Graham's intepretation of the problem seems accurate, the original posting is difficult for me to understand.

Vegas does not have menus. If you have created movie clips that serve as menu items then you simply make the changes and render it out, and your done. Open up DVDA and everything should be fine.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; August 11th, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

yeah I'm also a bit confused. If you built the menu in DVDA then simply insert the new material and re-prepare in DVDA. Since DVDA uses a feature called 'smart render' it will only re-render/prepare the material that was changed.
If you prepared your menu in say Photoshop, simply make the changes then save the menu as say DVD MAIN MENU 1 or 2 or whatever you saved the original as but with another number (I always save a XXX 1, 2, 3, etc.) bring the new menu into place and your all set. Now of the menu items will be lost.
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Assuming you still have the DAR file...
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

My apologies for my confusing presentation. I have a finished file with an exising menu structure constructed in DVDA, with a Vegas edited series of clips. The menu is not in Vegas. I wish to leave the menu structure in place and swap out the underlying Vegas file.

My goal is to avoid rebuilding the menu structure if possible while changing the Vegas clip to a new one which has only 1 minor change to a rolling credit and does not affect the overall length at all. That made me think perhaps this concept of either copying the menu to a new DVDA file with the new Vegas clip, or deleting the underlying clip and replacing. I tried a couple of times and got nowhere on my own, so I really appreciate your help with this.
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If I understand correctly I think you want to do the following.
Render your corrected file in Vegas( I usually use the same name but add "corr" or something to it). Open your DVDA project, doubleclick on the video file in the project overview, in the information box select media, then select video file, click on the dropdown arrow on the right and select "replace" then replace with the corrected file. Save with a new name and remake DVD.
I use this approach to make both a Bluray and SD version with the same menus.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks to all for your help and support. I did finally find the Replace Media function that was mentioned. Sincerely appreciate it, that saved me quite a lot of time and frustration. Need to keep what is left of my hair :)
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...