DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 9.0a keeps crashing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/269908-vegas-9-0a-keeps-crashing.html)

Mike Kujbida August 12th, 2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1213337)
Mike,
Is that Dynamic RAM used also during regular rendering???

I don't think it is but, to be honest, I can't remember.
I vaguely recall having to set it to 0 to complete a few renders but that was back in the Vegas 5 or 6 days.

BTW, the 512/1024 numbers I mentioned earlier came from a guy on the Cow Vegas forum and here's his post.

I have been doing test HD renders (DNxHD codec) of a fairly complex 30 min. project (many layers, many effects). This is on an i950, 8gb ram, Vegas92-64bit.

I seem to have found an odd relationship between the Dynamic Ram setting and the render success. When I set the Dynamic Ram to "0" or a very low setting, the render process crashes, fairly early in the process.

When I set the Dynamic Ram very high (2048), it crashes late in the process.

When I set the Dynamic Ram at 512 or 1024, the HD render completes.

I realize that there may be other factors involved and that these results are not necessarily related to the Dynamic Ram setting. But, I mention it for those who have had problems rendering in HD with 9a. Rather than logically setting the Dynamic Ram to a very low number, try some higher settings (but not too high---depending on your system).

Marius Boruch August 12th, 2009 10:43 AM

Sh..
I just bought an upgrade to 32bit Vegas 9.0
What would be soulution; what system configuration works for you Perrone?

Perrone Ford August 12th, 2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1213454)
Sh..
I just bought an upgrade to 32bit Vegas 9.0
What would be soulution; what system configuration works for you Perrone?

The upgrade to Vegas 9 includes both the 32 and 64bit. The same license works for both. I am running both.

When I got my new editing machine in July, I bought the fastest machine I could afford. I then promptly wiped the hard drive and did a clean install of Windows7. Bare.

I installed only Vegas 9 32 and 64 bit, DVDA 5, my codecs, and my conversion programs. I think Internet Explorer comes even in the bare install, because it's there. Other than that, I have nothing on it.

My laptop is running Xp64bit and running Vegas 8.0/8.1/9.0 32 and 64 bit. It's got the same conversion programs, firefox, and some other programs on it. But I run it LEAN. It's also got 4GB or RAM. I'd like 8 but can't afford to do it.

I think one of the things that I don't do that seems to cause people a lot of stress, is that I don't edit long GOP on my timeline. I make new masters before I start cutting my video unless I am doing something extremely simplistic. I prefer to use 10-bit codecs anyway, so that's what I do. And I rarely have any problems at all. I did have an issue this year where one of my machines choked when I was rendering a long 1080p project with complex titles, .mov masters, and other stuff. It ran out of memory. You could just see it happen.

Marius Boruch August 12th, 2009 11:42 AM

how did you get windows 7?

Perrone Ford August 12th, 2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1213587)
how did you get windows 7?

Through my enterprise agreement. We spend several million dollars a year with Microsoft. :) The commercial version should be shipping in a couple weeks.

Lou van Wijhe August 13th, 2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1212983)
I went thru Vegas 7,8 and now bought upgrade to 9 and real problems started. It crashes my system saying " system is low in memory" (Q9450 and 4GB of RAM). I reached the point that it crashes even when I reder SD projects! System is clean - no unnecessary software there - it is clear that it is ver. 9 that is causing the problem. What is going on!

Marius,

I (and many others) stumbled over this as well, it must be a bug in the memory management by Vegas. There is a workaround: Start a new project and nest the troublesome project inside it. Then it renders well (and even uses more memory than doing it directly). The only drawback is that the rendering time is much longer, I think about twice as long.

Lou

Lou van Wijhe August 13th, 2009 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1213205)
I can't produce BluRay using either SonyAVC or Mainconcept AVC compressions.
I got this message:
File name: STREAM/00001.m2ts
Status: TSWrapper.dll::CTSWrapper::ProcThreadMain::Video buffer underflows. -

I use templates for Sony and same values for Mainconcept. It is possible to burn BD directly from Vegas timeline BUT I need to produce BD with menus.

It works OK when using mpeg2's; what is causing that error with mp4's; how to fix it? "

I filed a bug report and a sample project about this at Sony's. The confirmed they can reproduce it and that it is a bug. They are working on it but I don't know when a fix will be available.

You can use AVC if you do a recompression in DVDA. But that takes extra time and lowers the image quality.

Lou

Paul Cascio August 13th, 2009 10:38 AM

The fact that a subclip renders fine, but takes twice as long, should be a clue as to what the problem is.

Lou van Wijhe August 13th, 2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1217538)
The fact that a subclip renders fine, but takes twice as long, should be a clue as to what the problem is.

Well, what is it then?

Brian Luce August 15th, 2009 09:57 AM

My Vegas 9a was fine until I installed the WAVE audio plugins. Now, once I have about 4 effects chained together it'll crash a lot.