undersampling DV PAL 25fps to 24fps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Major Player

undersampling DV PAL 25fps to 24fps

Hi, just wanted to run this by you guys - I have DV PAL footage which I shot with an FX1 and cut on Vegas 9. My question is: if I undersampled the playback rate from 25fps to 24fps and rendered it would it do anything to the footage in terms of making it look less like video? I've also deinterlaced the footage before putting it on the timeline. The effects can't be seen on a computer monitor but wondering if anyone has any experience of doing this for SD broadcast.

Also, if broadcast is 25fps would that sample the video back to 25fps from 24?

What about web streaming? Will it have any effect on sites such as Vimeo and YouTube?

Hope to get some insights!

Last edited by Ali Jafri; August 14th, 2009 at 02:24 AM. Reason: added Vegas version
Ali Jafri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ali, the difference between 25FPS and 24FPS is insignificant in terms of look.

What will make a bigger difference is deinterlacing the video so it has a progressive look, or if it was shot progressive, playing back the video on a progressive timeline.

Other than this the 'video look' is mostly not to do with frame rate, it is to do with lighting, dynamic range of the recording medium, quality of shooting, overall production value etc.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...