Any sort of plugin etc that will remove dropouts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:31 AM   #1
Trustee

Any sort of plugin etc that will remove dropouts?

I have millions of dropouts on one camera in a multi cam shoot I did and I've been removing them by hand but it's getting a tad monotonous. Is there any plugin that can do this?

Cheers
Aaron
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #2

Not really. There is the declicker in Noise Reduction, but if they are bonafide dropouts, it's going to sense the attack point of the returning audio and muck that up a little...
A soft gate should help. Do you have iZotope's Ozone?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Oops, my faux pas. I mean to say video dropouts.

Thanks anyway
Aaron
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

a program called "Motion Perfect"

cost abotu 100 bux for a pack of 3 standalone apps, (steadyhand, slow mo and motion perfect)

good stuff
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #5
Wrangler

Leave it up to Spot to have audio on the brain. lol It's ok because I guess I'm the opposite I heard drop-out and immediatly thought "video" drop-out.

To my knowledge there is no simple fix for this other than address the hardware concern via cleaning the heads and/or getting a tape transport alignment. If you have footage with numerious visual dropouts I don't believe there is a program that will handle them with automation. Even image manipulation software (ie Photoshop) works on mathmatical algorithms to do adjustments and there is just no way for a filter (or algorithm) to detect just the areas of the dropout and "fix" them, without undue harm to the rest of the image.

By hand the best way would be to take the frame before or after (a clean drop-out free frame) and place it above or below the track where the drop-out frame resides. You can then clone in the clean mossaic blocks using bezier masks. But ...wow...that's gotta be a pain. If it's a single frame drop out...sometimes you can get away with removing that particular frame- depending on how much motion is happening at that moment.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : By hand the best way would be to take the frame before or after (a clean drop-out free frame) and place it above or below the track where the drop-out frame resides. -->>>

This is very similar to what the "Frame Fix Wizard" in Neon does. Except it will replace the entire bad frame with a copy of either the frame before or after. It WILL cause a very slight jump but it should be less noticable than the bad frame.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #7
Trustee

Glen, that's what I'm doing and yes it's a MAJOR pain. I usually have several (from 1 to 5 or more) dropouts on some frames, and the footage doesn't last more than about 5 seconds on average before more dropouts occur. I have been masking out the bits by hand and it's taken me about 5 hours to do 20 mins of footage. I have *AT LEAST* another 60 mins on this seminar alone. And then I have othe seminars!

I'm going to go cry now.

Aaron
Old July 14th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Aaron,
You really need to fix your hardware/PC software issues. You should not get dropouts with DV if you have a reasonably fast computer.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #9
Trustee

Guy it's not that. I had someone come along with their camera from work, to assist in filming the seminar. I had NO idea that it would be a total piece of total crap and have these issues. It's a painful lesson learnt. I will check everyone's cameras before a shoot, or rent my own.

Aaron
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #10
Major Player

I assume that the camcorders used for this shoot were digital, either DV or Digital8, so just a thought... did you try playing the dropout-laden tapes on the camcorder that recorded them? It could be an incompatibility between their camcorder and yours, particularly if his/her camcorder was set to record in the LP mode for some reason. There is a chance that the tapes would play fine on their machine and you could it to recapture your footage (or would that be "inchage?")

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #11
Trustee

John, thanks for the suggestion, but guess what. They have since sold that camera....Oh the joy!

Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...