Vegas can do that! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:58 AM   #16
Major Player

Ed,

Doesn't CTRL Dragging change the length of a clip (video, video+audio, or audio) while maintaining the pitch. I think I just did this last night to make 31 minute piece fit within my 29:30 timeslot. The slight acceleration of the pace wasn't noticable. I tried pitch shifiting down one half-tone (minus key) and it sounded different, so I took it back out (plus key). Then I checked the original piece in the trimmer and the time-compressed piece on the time-line and I couldn't hear any difference in pitch, just rate.

Isn't that changing the SPEED of the audio?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:32 AM   #17
Wrangler

Yes it does but not with an "envelope" where you can choose it to go fast at one point and slow at another....smoothly ramping in between the two points.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:56 AM   #18
Inner Circle

it can, but can only be done in non realtime its called pitch changing. I havent messed with it in Vegas, but i KNOW soundforge can do this used it as a Turntable effect.. LOL

Literally sounding like a turntable if u want it to.. speed up slow down.. u can also adjust it in transposing keyranges etc etc etc or literally insert points and adjsut manualy

Its an integrated effect however, as u can open an AVI in soundforge, u can easily isolate a clip, open the pitch change, adjust the envelope to suit, and render to wav or back to AVI.
Bit like After Effects for audio.. LOL

Like i said, its not realtime, but u can mess around with an envelope and adjust as u hear it...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:30 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
However, I want to be able to do this on my computer and then export back to digital tape. Is Sonic Foundry Vegas Video the answer as Adobe Premier 6.0 doesn't have anything to change color or brightness of the video? If it does I have not ever been able to find it in three years of looking.
Premiere Pro and Vegas can do it. Premiere Pro is radically different from Premiere 6.x (i.e. not crappy). I believe Vegas has a slight edge though since you can do split previews comparing one shot to another. Check out Billy Boy's color correction tutorials.

If you want really fine control over the image, Vegas has a decent secondary color correction which you can use to really tweak out an image (time consuming though).

And of course, you can tryout the demos for both programs.

2- Pitchi bending: In Vegas, you can conveniently open a copy of your audio in another program (right click --> open copy in audio editor). It also conveniently adds the wet track as a 'take' so a few mouse clicks and you are back to the original. You can also use a wide range of plug-ins (not sure if there is a pitch bending plug-in).

Vegas is *halfway* there, other NLEs are not.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:53 AM   #20
Sponsor: JET DV

CTRL-Drag WILL let you change the speed of audio to a constant new rate. But there is NO velocity envelope for audio. If you want a constant speed change, yes you can do this fine in Vegas with both audio and video staying in sync.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Ed,

OK, if Vegas can change audio speed a 'constant rate', doesn't this mean they are a hair's breadth away from variable capability, i.e. "Audio Velocity Envelope"? I say this because if I can change the velocity for a given segment length, and create slower and slower velocity on successive segments, I'm manually doing to an audio event what the Automation tool does on a video velocity envelope, right?

Vegas 5.0c capability?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM   #22

Kind of but with a LOT more work than the velocity envelope. I would NOT look for this functionality in 5. The main reason I say this is because the CTRL-Drag feature for audio was also in Vegas 4 and Vegas 3.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM   #23
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Melius : Now is it Sony Vegas or Sonic Foundry vegas as I am finding searches for both? -->>>
Sony bought Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge and some other products from Sonic Foundry earlier this year.

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM   #24

<<<-- Originally posted by Dennis Vogel : <<<-- Sony bought Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge and some other products from Sonic Foundry earlier this year.

Dennis Vogel -->>>

The purchase was roughly one year ago. I believe it was around July of 2003 when it was finalized.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:37 AM   #25
Major Player

Time flies.

Thanks for the correction, Edward.

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:15 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Glenn,

While I am awaiting my full version of Vegas 5 + DVD and the training DVD's, do you know if it is possible with the programs I ordered to turn up the volume on various talking parts during a concert. I have done this on an old demo version of Sound Forge from about 7 years ago but it can't do 48 Khz music only 44 Khz. I am curious if I will have to get new copy of Sound Forge full version. The package I am getting has something called acid pro but I've never used that program. The audio I am working on came straight from a sound board and is DAT quality so turning up the volume on parts should not effect signal to noise as there is no noise level at all.

On a down note, I ordered vegas 5 from Bhphoto 2 days ago for 699 and then ordered the three training DVD's from video guy yesterday. Today I found that video guy put vegas 5 + DVD for 699 plus all three training DVD's for free and so I lost out on a 160 dollar savings. I wish someone would have given me a heads up on that one :(
Dan Melius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:38 PM   #27

Based on what you have mentioned, Vegas should be able to handle your audio needs. Raising the volume is definitely possible in Vegas.
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
While I am awaiting my full version of Vegas 5 + DVD and the training DVD's, do you know if it is possible with the programs I ordered to turn up the volume on various talking parts during a concert. I have done this on an old demo version of Sound Forge from about 7 years ago but it can't do 48 Khz music only 44 Khz. I am curious if I will have to get new copy of Sound Forge full version. The package I am getting has something called acid pro but I've never used that program. The audio I am working on came straight from a sound board and is DAT quality so turning up the volume on parts should not effect signal to noise as there is no noise level at all.
Not sure if raising the volume the best solution, but Vegas can do it well. With the automation controls you can use the mouse to control the volume envelope. It's very much like a mixer with faders. If you get a control surface (not too sure about these) you can move the faders on it like a real mixer and adjust volume envelopes in Vegas that way.

Raising the volume will bring up the background noise along with it, which may not work well for you.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I will find out next week as Vegas 5 Plus DVD is suppose to arrive on Monday. There is no background noise as I recorded on a modified by Greg Winter Sony VX2100 going into a mixpre and on into the musician's sound board for four of the seven concerts I filmed. The sound is a million times better than the three concerts I used a Rode NT 4 as the musicians had microphones and a soundboard costing 10's of thousands of dollars.

After recording directly from the soundboard, I never want to record anything from the Rode NT 4 microphone again as the difference is just mind boggling.

The only downside is that the audience's applause are muted more so than on the NT4. This may be one of the aspects I will want to turn up the volume on. There was a HUGE difference in record level from the talking between the songs and the songs themselves (-35 dbu for talking to -3 dbu for highest points in the songs)
Dan Melius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:25 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Dan, it sounds like you'll get nice clean sound through the sound board, and bumping this up during talking shouldn't create too many noise problems.

One thing I like to avoid for live performances is getting sound that is "too clean", i.e. clear music from the stage, but less ambience to make viewers feel as though they're in the auditorium.
I remember "Roy Orbison & Friends" - his sort of swansong performance with a galaxy of stars as back up singers - suffered from this - a wonderfully clear mix, but no room sound.

To get round this I try and record auditorium sound separately, maybe on a Mini Disc or 2nd camera, and mix it in as a separate track
Peter Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...