Isolating colour in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Isolating colour in Vegas?

I need to wash out the colour in one scene while keeping one character and a door in front of which he stands in sharp focus. to that effect, i intend to wash out the colours of the surroundings and make it slightly darker. Is there an easy way to do this in Vegas, other than making a mask? For instance, how do they create that tacky effect of a red rose in a B&W picture?

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques E. Bouchard View Post
For instance, how do they create that tacky effect of a red rose in a B&W picture?

J.
Secondary color corrector. But you can use it for color, or luma. But it's just creating a mask.
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques E. Bouchard View Post
I need to wash out the colour in one scene while keeping one character and a door in front of which he stands in sharp focus. to that effect, i intend to wash out the colours of the surroundings and make it slightly darker. Is there an easy way to do this in Vegas, other than making a mask? For instance, how do they create that tacky effect of a red rose in a B&W picture?

J.
Setting up the shot before hand helps. If you want to isolate the red rose, don't have someone else in the shot wearing a red shirt. I'll post a still.
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Jacques, take a look at Edward Troxel's newsletters, specifically Vol. 1 #11 - Doing A Color Pass and Vol. 2 #10 - Color Pass Reprised - Passing Multiple Colors.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks everyone. I'll do some tests.
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Jacques,

Here's a still from the Vegas timeline. This was done quickly with the secondary color corrector in Vegas. Tacky? Perhaps, but most couples in my market (weddings) seem to like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Isolating colour in Vegas?-pink1.jpg  
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Thnaks Ken. So for optimal results I need to light as evenly as possible to get consistent colours.

J.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Trustee

Having the subject evenly lit will make the color easier to pull. if you want to make it easy to highlight (focus) you subject, then have them wear a standout color (say... a red vest or if the door is red). Or if the door is a uniquely brighter color. The trick is the color that you use will be unique in the shot, because when you pull it using the secondary CC, it will pull all occurrences of that color in the shot. I don't know if you can edit the mask in secondary CC (it would be nice), other than tweaking the settings a little.

Here is a still of another Secondary CC color isolation and the mask that is created by it.

In the first shot off to the left there is an exit sign that is caught in the color effect, I'd rather not have this there. In fact, ideally I'd just like the ties and flowers to be highlighted.
Attached Thumbnails
Isolating colour in Vegas?-pink2.jpg   Isolating colour in Vegas?-pink2-mask2.jpg  

Last edited by Ken Diewert; August 29th, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #9
Trustee

Plan ahead for this and it will a piece of cake...
If you choose the right colours and light it well then you can use the secondary colour corrector fairly easily. Use the eye dropper to choose your colour, adjust the luma/saturation/hue limits, invert the mask then desaturate/darken as desired. If you have problems and you find bits of colour on objects you didn't intend then you'll have duplicate the track and use a cookie cutter.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...