playback ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 1st, 2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Major Player

playback ?

Ok so I am finished with my project and rendered it and played out to tape it looks fine ..Now I just want to show the project right from the PC and look as good as the tape copy via my NTSC monitor and PC speakers. Is it possible to do this?

I use a Sony fire wire media converter with the NTSC monitor

Thanks

Vince
Vince Debart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:32 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

If you simply play the timeline with external preview turned on you will get the video on the NTSC monitor and the audio via the sound card.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Edward...But when I do that I still get the jerky preview type of playback? I want it to look like the tape copy nice and smooth in the transitions and video

Thanks

Vince
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:37 AM   #4

One thing to try that may help is to make sure the entire timeline is visible so the screen does not have to refresh.

If you do a PTT, the sound will go via firewire instead of the sound card. Why can't you just do a PTT and then use a camera as a convertor to get from Firewire to analog?
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Sorry ..PTT ?

Vince
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:20 PM   #6

"Print To Tape" or Tools - Print Video to DV Tape
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks will try it today ....but will it not start the rendering process all over again

BTW in the dynamic ram setting it says 512 available and it is set at 128 should I change it to 512 I have 640 installed

Thanks for all the help I don’t get a lot of time on the system but am starting to do so

Thanks
Vince
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:16 PM   #8

In the first post you said you rendered it. Just load the rendered version an no rendering will be required.

If you load the original project and did not save the pre-renders then, yes, rendering may be required.

The RAM setting does not have to be maxed out. The higher you set it, the more ram will be used for RAM Renders.
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:25 PM   #9
Major Player

I must be doing something wrong sorry for the dumb question

How do you do a pre render save when I view a project I load the project to watch it, like I said I am doing something wrong and am learning the system

Vince
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:30 PM   #10

When you do a print to tape, it will automatically prerender all sections that need rendering. There is an option in the preferences that determines whether or not these are automatically saved. If saved and you re-open the project, this prerendering will NOT be done again unless you do something to change those sections (warning: adding a video track changes ALL sections).

Based on the original post, I had assumed when you said you had rendered that you had simply done a File - Render As on the entire project. If you did, you can add THAT file to a new timeline and print to tape will NOT have to re-render any of the video.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:29 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Edward
Vince Debart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...