External Preview Locks Vegas 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 5th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

External Preview Locks Vegas 5

I have searched multiple forums for an answer to this problem but have found nothing like it mentioned anywhere. Using Vegas 5b with External Preview will cause Vegas to lock after a few minutes. Basically what happens is that the external monitor goes blank and, of course, the preview window remains the same with the message about external preview being on. Audio is still going fine and the timeline cursor is still moving. The mouse cursor moves normally too. I'll try and stop the video by using any method available (mouse clicks, key presses) but Vegas simply won't accept the stop or pause events. The only thing that that I am able to do with Vegas at this point is open Task Manager and choose End Process. Even this takes a long while. Subsequent restarting of the Vegas application typically yields very long start-up times if it doesn't lock up on the re-start. If Vegas does start successfully then it will not see the IE1394 device. Checking windows system devices reveals no problems with the IE1394 device and it is available to other programs and works with them. The only recourse I have to restore proper Vegas operation after a lock up is to re-boot my machine.

I have tried numerous configurations of running services and applications and all my drivers are the latest. My system is an Athlon 1GHz with 384 Mb SDRAM with an NVidia Ti200 graphics card (Gainward Ti450) running Windows XP Pro SP2. My motherboard uses a VIA chipset and I’m aware of the latency issues with this chipset. I tried a beta fix for this latency problem called "PCI Latency patch for VIA Chipsets” but it did not do anything to resolve the locking issue with Vegas. I am running out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks in advance.
Old December 5th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Heat?
IRQ Conflicts?
Bad Cable?
Didn't mention what you are using for converting but, maybe, camera going to sleep?

Unfortunately, this sound like it's probably more related to hardware or drivers rather than Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:35 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

I agree with Edward, sounds like some hardware problem. Make
sure all the connections inside the case (and all cards) are
secure/securely fitted.

I would try another firewire cable as well and do tell us which
device you are using to convert digital to analog.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have two Sony DSR-PD170's that I use for External Preview and its the same issue with both.

I don't think heat is an issue since this system is not overclocked and I've never had any stability issue with this unit, at least not since I got rid of ME and got XP Pro :-) . I have had problems with other systems that I have overclocked so I have an idea of what to look for.

The IE1394 cable works fine for capture and analog to DV. Never any issues. I don't see how it could it work fine for those and fail for External Preview. But I am running out of ideas.......

When this happens and I have to use task manager to kill Vegas, if Vegas will restart without rebooting the computer, which is only about 30% of the time, Vegas won't recognize the capture device even though Windows Movie Maker DOES recognize it and I can capture to Windows Movie Maker without a problem. This is the reason I tend to think the problem is related to Vegas or an interface it utilizes for communicating with the IE1394 device.

Another wierd thing I discovered last night is that sometimes if I click pause first rather than turning off External Preview I will still have to "end process" to kill Vegas but it will be much more likely to start up again without any problems and the capture device is still available.

Man, my head is hurting........ :-(

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Heat?
IRQ Conflicts?
Bad Cable?
Didn't mention what you are using for converting but, maybe, camera going to sleep?

Unfortunately, this sound like it's probably more related to hardware or drivers rather than Vegas. -->>>
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #5

Are you SURE your Firewire card is true OHCI? This can be an issue. Do you have VIA chipsets? Promise RAID controller? Shared soundcard and 1394 card resources?

There are 5 pages of 1394 card problems listed on the VASST Vegas FAQ, partially courtesy of John Meyer.
You might also be suffering from a Windows problem that Microsoft has a driver patch for.
http://www.vasst.com/login.htm to get to the FAQ pages.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #6
Major Player

LL,

When locked up - have you tried to power off and the on the camera to see if Vegas will "wake up"?

// Lazze \\
Lars Siden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, I have tried many diferent combinations of camera on-off and booting. No change. Within about 2 to 8 minutes of viewing it locks up and nothing will resolve it except ending the Vegas process

Quote:
.<<<-- Originally posted by Lars Siden :

LL,

When locked up - have you tried to power off and the on the camera to see if Vegas will "wake up"?

// Lazze \\ -->>>
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Douglas,

XP Pro identifies it as OHCI, for what that's worth. Yes, I do have VIA chipsets from the latency issue era and yes it has manifested itself in a game or two as crackling sound from my Sound Blaster Live 5.0 card. I have been thinking that this is the root of my problem but have not been able to pin it down. I was hoping someone else with a Via chipset from 2001 or earlier would have had the same problem so that at least I could have a little verification of my un-educated guess. As mentioned before, I have applied George E. Breese's PCI Latency patch for VIA Chipsets but it did not improve anything.

No RAID, IE1394 shared with modem - IRQ 3

Here's my system specs http://www.glassdolphinvideo.com/tem...tionreport.htm

Quote:

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle :

Are you SURE your Firewire card is true OHCI? This can be an issue. Do you have VIA chipsets? Promise RAID controller? Shared soundcard and 1394 card resources?

There are 5 pages of 1394 card problems listed on the VASST Vegas FAQ, partially courtesy of John Meyer.
You might also be suffering from a Windows problem that Microsoft has a driver patch for.
http://www.vasst.com/login.htm to get to the FAQ pages. -->>>

Old December 11th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #9

I'd try hard to get your priority of the 1394 card up to around 9, 10, 12. That might help. Modem share shouldn't be causing this, but priority could.
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Douglas,

By this I assume you mean setting the IE1394 IRQ to a higher priority IRQ? XP Pro won't allow that on this device. How is this accomplished?
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #11

Move it to another slot, that should help a great deal
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Trustee

there are a lot of things that you can still try.

make sure you have the latest directx version... try rolling back the video card drivers to older versions... pull that sound card out temporarily... move cards to different slots.

look at the processes running in task manager... get rid of everything that isn't needed, you can control the startup programs easier with spybot... no virus checkers, no defrag programs, check out blackviper.com to see how to stop unnecessary windows o.s. programs from running.

irq conflicts can be checked within windows as well.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I swapped things around. It wanted to stay at IRQ3 after the first couple of times so I changed everything around and had to re-activate Windows and re-setup my network because I changed so much stuff. I finally got it to IRQ11 and tested it. Same problem. Sigh....

11 is shared with the network card now. Would that cause a problem?

I did find one other thread, over at the Sony forums, that sounded like the same problem. I posted on that thread but haven't heard from him yet.
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ssageID=339329
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #14
Trustee

That's when I have my most lockup probs with
Vegas: during external preview.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...