Do You Use More Than One Computer For Editing? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 30th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes it is possible to force a specific drive letter (for example, you could use "V:" to specify it was your video drive)

Many people have used USB for capturing when having a conflict via firewire. It will take more CPU and I'm not sure how much that would affect DV Rack. I know it should work fine with Scenalyzer Live.

Test it out with DV Rack and let us know how it works. My gut feeling is that it should work fine.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks again, Edward.

I will certainly report back although it may take a while as my laptop is being custom built by Alienware. I believe it has pretty good horsepower (3.4GHz P4, 2Gb RAM, 256 Mb graphics) so hopefully all will be well.

I don't possess DV Rack yet so I will also check out Scenalyzer Live.

Looking forward to the Kids in Pictures (I think you called it?) article.

Best,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark
Looking forward to the Kids in Pictures (I think you called it?) article.
Should be ready later today or tomorrow.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

As I understand the Sony license, you can have two copies - one laptop and another desktop - and you are within the license if you only use one or the other (no one else using the other). You could use one Vegas on both machines even if one is operating as a render machine to the other.

About SAN/NAS like system: This sounds interesting to me. I would like to shoot stuff using HDV Rack with external drives, connect them to my edit computer as part of the SATA already on there. I wasn't aware that was possible since I'm just now getting into these big files HDV entails. Could it be set up that way? How? Thanks for the info.
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I've been reading up on external SATA drives, what do you pro's think of them? Are they worth switching to?
Van Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #21
Regular Crew

USB 2 is fine. In fact it's a bit faster than firewire.

To have your drive show up with the same letter, you just set it in the Disk Management section of Computer Management (it's in Administrative Tools).
Right-click and Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Gary
Gary Kleiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM   #22
Inner Circle

2 machines.. both desktop.. both a lil slow by todays standards but theyre earning tehir keep so they stay until dual dual core untis are reasonabley costed... i give it 6 months.. lol

machine 1 is running a 160gb system drive
40gb for boot sector, 20 gb for games and the rest is for video

it also houses another 160gb meida drive.

This machines sole purpose is to capture footage (were talking average 10hours per job) and be a drafting machine.
All rough cuts are done on this.

theyre then transported to the main finishing machine using a now dead Lacie removable firewire drive.. the drive works, i jsut need a new case..
Either way, i save the project with the media onto this ready for transport.

This finisher houses
80gb system drive

120gb music/CG/GFX/Stock

2x120gb project storage drives (all actual projects are set up here, any scans, titles client info etc is saved with their projects)
One of these also acts as a cahce for any app that requires a cache area (nero, Architect, vegas prerenders, etc etc)

2x200gb Raw Media Project drives (capturing or storage of material from draft machine)

1x 200gb "Render to" Mastering drive

These mashines are not networked coz i cant be bothered anymore..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM   #23
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

have 6 computers networked here ... 2 are laptops so sometimes they are off the network ...
tend to edited on DELL desktop w/3x400gig hd's and both laptops .. been editing on laptop more lately using wireless to outline/rough-cut projects then will use hardwire to fine cut.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #24
Major Player

Buffalo anyone?

I'm currently on the Desktop/Laptop setup too. Mainly I use the laptop in the field and on the road and the desktop when I'm in the SOHO. I've got 3 external hardrives of varying sizes all of which tend to get full around project time...

I've been looking into this Buffalo Terabyte NAS solution. Is anyone familiar with their products? I'm not a big fan of Lacie for various reasons (not the least of which is cost/MB).

Here's the unit that's able to handle a Terabyte without RAID or less with the different raid solutions. What I really like is that I can add additional USB externals to it to make it share more space...

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...&categoryid=19
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #25
Inner Circle

"I'm not a big fan of Lacie for various reasons (not the least of which is cost/MB)."

i hear ya mate.. when i was supplying these, people would bring them back with HW striping and/or interface issues. from here we would try to salveage waht we could, and not even Lacie bothered to attempt to salvage any work made... which isnt good considering the main use of these drives is for media storage.

I recently had a Lacie fail on me and i lost a project which as actaully due for delivery this week. The interface shit itself, then the HW stripe followed but it was too late to remove teh drive by then. Once the striping dies, the drive was inaccessabe and the volume index got corrupted. I ended up having to remove teh drive and run a program called getdataback and used it for extraction. i then went out and bought a new enclosure and hopefully this wont die as the Lacie one did...

Not impressed i have to say..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...