24pa mis-identified as 29.97i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

24pa mis-identified as 29.97i

I've been avoiding shooting in 24p - prefer better temporal resolution and such.

However, I was shooting for a friend's project at a bicycle race, and he's all about 24p for this stuff.

Shot with my Sony HVR-V1u, set to HDV-24pa (the mode that starts each clip with a fresh pulldown cadence). (Sony's approach is to add pulldown and record in a 1080-60i stream)

Ingested using Vegas Pro 8.0c, using Vegas' internal HDV capture app, with "enable hdv scene detection" checked.

Most of the clips are fine, and play perfectly from the timeline at full framerate best/full in a 24p project. about 7 of them don't. These play at about 8fps, and show motion ghosts.

After some tracking through clip properties & such, I realized that Vegas is identifying these clips as 29.97 interlaced. Resetting them to progressive-none in properties helps some with playback rate, but still have motion ghosting & excessive judder & such. The "good" clips are all correctly identified as 24p, and play beautifully.

I'm about to try some recaptures, but was wondering if anyone else had run into this, and what their solution was? Is there a way to rewrite the framerate in the m2t header?

To forestall questions - yes, the cam was set up properly for 24pa. No, the camera settings for these clips didn't change at all. The "problem" clips are scattered through the tape...
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Update - the second capture run - same result, bad clip.

Third capture run - all is correct, clip ID is 23.976fps like it should, working much better now, but why???!!!
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

computers. can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
nothing more to say. ;-)
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, the pain continued, but is over now.

I ended up having to recapture about 8 out of 44 clips. Recapping took 1, 2 or 3 attempts before Vegas saw the clips at 24p. This ended up being perhaps 2.5 extra hours of work.

I'm still interested to troubleshoot. Is anyone using this basic and default workflow that is having this problem with Sony's HDV-24p? Anyone definately NOT having this problem?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...