Uncompressed AVI vs NTSC DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Uncompressed AVI vs NTSC DV

I am rendering a 71 min video project (SD / 720x480 / NTSC / DV / 4:3) to send off to a DVD printing company for like 1,000 copies, glass mastered, etc, etc.

They asked for an uncompressed AVI but Vegas crashes because it says I don't have enough HD space on a 300GB drive. It seems that rendering as uncompressed AVI is HUGE and actually makes the rendered video a lot larger than even the original raw dv footage recorded.

My question is, can I just render out as NTSC DV and get the same quality and why doesn't it just say "No Compression Required"?

I'm sure the place uses their own compression or I would just render them MPEG2 and AC3 files.

Any thoughts?
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Oliver

You can get the Lagarith codec online as a freebie and just install it and then when you render choose AVI and on the dropdown look for the Lagarith codec. It's lossless and takes up less space than uncompressed but the files will still be pretty big!!!!

Being lossless you will have the same quality as an uncompressed AVI

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Chris I installed the codec but I dont see it anywhere in the drop down box. No option for Lagarith under avi.

I went to control panel, sounds and audio devices - hardware - video codecs and it says it's installed and working properly so I dunno.
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #4
Major Player

FOUND IT!

Was in custom...

thanks
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Seems to work well Chris, thank you.

Does everyone else agree that the Lagarith codec would be my best bet? Would buying a 1TB drive and rendering it as uncompressed be worth it?

I would love a few more comments on this before I send the DVD off, its weird just taking 1 persons word for it as I've never heard of the codec before! lol
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
Seems to work well Chris, thank you.

Does everyone else agree that the Lagarith codec would be my best bet? Would buying a 1TB drive and rendering it as uncompressed be worth it?

I would love a few more comments on this before I send the DVD off, its weird just taking 1 persons word for it as I've never heard of the codec before! lol
If they asked for uncompressed, that's what they want. Not that anything is wrong with Lagarith, but they may not have it or want to install it. Which means they wouldn't be able to read your video. I use Lagarith a LOT and like it. But it is by no means universal.

As to why uncompressed is so much larger, Raw DV is 25Mbps. Uncompressed DV is going to be in the neighborhood of 300Mbps. Totally different game. And they don't want you to send them an Mpeg2, because they undoubtedly have FAR better compressors than you do.

If you want them to do the their job properly, and not charge you extra conversion fees, then send them what they asked for in the manner they specified.
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Also, if the source was DV, you could simply send them DV with NO loss in quality anyway.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm with Edward on this.
Sending them an uncompressed AVI serves no useful purpose that I can imagine.
I've sent DVDs out for duplication (qty. of 500 - no glass master needed) before and all I've ever been asked for is a master DVD.
I burn it at 4X max on a Taiyo-Yuden disc and they're happy with it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #9
Major Player

I went ahead and got a 1TB drive and rendered them an uncompressed AVI, but I also rendered a Lagarith version for myself to see what it looks like because it's A LOT smaller (40GBs vs over 100Gbs). The problem is, I cant seem to be able to open the Lagarith file with anything (VLC, Quicktime, etc); how do I look at this footage? Do I have to 1st uncompressed it somehow?

Sorry for my ignorance, this is my 1st time messing with this sort of codec / compression.
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

Render a DV version and check it too.......
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I had the same problem and could not view it so then I configured the Lagarith in the RGBA mode and it worked great. Don't know why but the default RBG can't be viewed after rendering.
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #12
Major Player

ya, Edward, the DV render works fine and everything else, the only thing that wont play is that Lagarith version....werid.

I will mess with the RGB settings William, what exactly do you change?
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Go to custom and after you choose Lagarith click on configure and choose RBGA. Bill
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #14
Trustee

There is something missing with the OP's question. Will the service company be authoring the DVD? There isn't any other reason that they would be asking asking for uncompressed AVI files. It isn't possible to send them an authored DVD in a lossless format.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Major Player

Ya, they are doing all the authoring and compressing the uncompressed AVI using FCP and compressor so I assume it will be better quality than my MPEG2.

Well see..

The DVD's are D9, and it's weird they way they do it; they like split the film in 2 and do 2 glass masters, and then put them back together on the dual layer DVD in a black spot (full fade to back) in the film so you cant tell. This is probably normal but this is my 1st time getting a mass amount copies of a DVDs made so it's all new to me.

I'm actually just glad that Vegas didnt crash while rendering the uncompressed AVI, I really think I'm making the change to FCP on my next project as I have had a lot of issues with Vegas.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...