weird 3 point editing in Vegas 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Major Player

weird 3 point editing in Vegas 8

I edit on Avid in my day job and use Vegas for my home projects.

I am trying to get a handle on 3 point editing in Vegas, but am having what I consider odd behavior (the software not me. lol)

I open a clip in the trimmer, hit play, then I and O for in and out, if I let the video in the trimmer continue playing and hit A, I get the clip on the timeline as I wanted with the correct In and Out point. But, if I do everything the same, set my I and O, then pause the playback in the trimmer, and then hit A I get the clip from the In point until the end of the clip on the timeline. It seems to disregard the outpoint altogether.

Is that how it works or am I missing something? It forgets the outpoint it you stop playback? that's just weird.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It is. But then, nobody here ever uses the trimmer, so I've never noticed it.
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
I am trying to get a handle on 3 point editing in Vegas, but am having what I consider odd behavior
I can do 3-Point Editing in Trimmer. It works as it is stated in the Manual.

Quote:
I open a clip in the trimmer, hit play, then I and O for in and out, if I let the video in the trimmer continue playing and hit A, I get the clip on the timeline as I wanted with the correct In and Out point.
Yes, that works.

Quote:
But, if I do everything the same, set my I and O, then pause the playback in the trimmer, and then hit A I get the clip from the In point until the end of the clip on the timeline. It seems to disregard the outpoint altogether.
No, not for me. However I believe I can repro what YOU are getting IF I leave the LOOP PLAYBACK option engaged. What happens then is that an area, or Loop Selection, equivalent to the last selection I executed is invoked. Now if THAT was a Selection that was from where I started to the the END then that is what I get. Here's a TIP: If you press Backspace key you WILL get the last 5 selections you created. Useful IF you wish to review your last 5 Loop Selection and the decide to MOVE to another area of the Clip.

Quote:
Is that how it works or am I missing something? It forgets the outpoint it you stop playback? that's just weird.
Yes, I understand your comment, but do read the Manual it is chock full of useful and time-saving Trimmer Tips.

Onto our friend's point about Trimmer Usage, from DVInfo Members: Actually I use Trimmer as my Video "palette" and scrub and search for what I want and assemble in real time, against a Music bed, up there on the Timeline, what it is I want. Trimmer - Love it!

As to nobody here using Trimmer? Well, I use it ALL the time. So I guess that makes me a nobody then?

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Totally with Graham!And...i'm another nobody!LOL
Trimmer is useful as R & A are useful to AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!LOL
(Italian speech nevermind).Trimmer is LIFE!
good luck
Stefano Sernagiotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #5
Old Boot

Bill, I was testing in VP9, and you are in VP8. I just made sure and 3-Point DOES work there too. PLUS I can leave Loop Selection Engaged. I'll need to re-review VP9 and test that further.

What iteration/version of VP8 you got?

Regards

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm more than happy to be in Grazie's gang (I'd regard that as a compliment even if it makes me a "nobody")!

I find the Trimmer so much easier whereas editing on the timeline is too fiddly if I have long events to cut, rearrange and time. My own approach is to batch capture so that I may have a number of shots relating to the same scene in a single batch (e.g. those tried out from different camera angles or, in a travelogue, those relating to a single location). A batch is opened in the Trimmer and I can select those parts I want to appear in the final product in the order I want and at the length I want and place them in the position I want them using I, O and A (may have to use Ripple but I try to remember to switch it off again after each use!). I also use Tab depending on whether I want to transfer video and audio or either video or audio alone.

At the end of the day, however, it's the final product that matters rather than the way you got there.

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys. I will try to work with it a bit tonight and see if I can sort it out.

Grazie, I have 8.0c

A bit of background: I started editing in the 80's on 3/4" U-matic tape. I even cut some 16mm film, in my TV news reporter days. That is the main reason I went with Avid here at work back in 94, its terminology made the most sense to me.

I've read the help screens in Vegas and followed along, but this issue just baffled me. I will have to check some of the settings etc. The stuff I work on at home is relatively quick and easy, so dragging to the timeline and trimming there works, but I am in the early stages of a new documentary and want to get myself more up to speed.

Thanks again.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
As to nobody here using Trimmer? Well, I use it ALL the time. So I guess that makes me a nobody then?
Actually, I said nobody here (at work) uses the trimmer. I understand that many people use it and love it, including lots on this list. Sorry if you misunderstood my meaning.
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
It is. But then, nobody here ever uses the trimmer, so I've never noticed it.
whoa hahaha (you're gonna your head chewed off) , i use the trimmer:) Not always, but i do - especially for long form projects. But i'll tell for short projects the first thing i do is close that trimmer

IMO Three point editing with the trimmer is just as intuitive as other editing apps.

Vegas - so flexible, now if we could only get more third party support!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...